Getting My Hopes Up

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

Jim and Sparky

Getting My Hopes Up

Post by Jim and Sparky » December 29th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I always feel so bad when hopes get dashed and it has happened to me a couple of times this year. I am trying very hard not to get my hopes up again, but it's hard to avoid.

Last time I saw him, my cardiologist said he didn't want to see me for 6 months. I took that as a sign that I was doing very well in my recovery. He also said he didn't want me to drive a motor vehicle for a year from when I was last in the hospital. At the time that frustrated the hell out of me, but I chose not to resist and have respected his wishes.

I see my cardiologist in about 10 days and the 1 year driving restriction will be up in about 30 days.

So I'm wondering....

Would he possibly lift my driving restriction a little early?

Will my ICD interrogations show no adverse events?

I've been a good boy. I'm ready.

Do I even want to start driving again?

It's that last question that has me bugged a bit. It's a real mixed bag of feelings. I walk a lot. It has been very good for me. It has been a huge change in my lifestyle, and I have come to really enjoy it in many ways.

Then again I am looking forward to not being as dependent on others to get me around. What I really miss the most is riding my motorcycle. There's a feeling of freedom and exhilaration involved there that I have really missed.

Oh, maybe I am getting my hopes up again. Better back off Jim. Don't want to be disappointed again.
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

dadmanbob

Re: Getting My Hopes Up

Post by dadmanbob » December 29th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Well Jim I put my Honda Gold Wing away in the garage. I am not able to keep my balance on it any more. I may change it to a three wheeler trike. I guess I was lucky I have not been put on any driving restriction at all.

I would ask him and he should give you early driving privilege as long as the ICD reading comes back clean.

Good luck
Bob
BOB
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
Med's
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
ZANTAC 150MG

I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 29th, 2011, 10:12 pm

he didn't want me to drive a motor vehicle for a year from when I was last in the hospital
That seems an incredibly long period of time. Besides that, what could you possibly crash in to in Wichita Kansas anyway, a stray cow?
nonsense area-does anyone even read this area any more

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » December 29th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Jim,

Honestly, I didn't give the issue of driving again even the slightest second thought. And you'll remember that I was behind the wheel when I had my MI. Two months later, I was driving again, probably a few weeks sooner than I was ready, but I got along just fine.

Jim, driving again isn't going to change your lifestyle there pal. You STILL need to keep walking. Don't forget that !

I'll tell you the story of my "one year check up" which took place at about 14 months just back in May 2011. Like you, I'd been on 6 month recall. I'd been really good .... just like you. I'd recovered from my bout with CHF 7+ months earlier. I had an "interim quick check" with my Primary Care MD three months earlier and was doing great. I had survived my first post-MI tax season and really felt fine.

We come from the same academic and professional background. You can read tea leaves. You also have a healthy amount of skepticism that does NOT rise to the level of cynicism. You know that things don't always turn out the way they should even though you go through all the right motions. You know that sometimes you just catch a bad break. You know that everything could be great, but all you need to hear is the MD saying, "Oh that doesn't sound good," and it could really ruin your day.

I went into that appointment dreading the possibility he'd say, "I want you back here in three months." I decided that I would be happy hearing, "See you in six months." I had no other expectations. I was going to take whatever came my way. I knew, at worst, I was walking out of his office alive ..... and you and I have had a lot worst news than that in our lives Jim.

For me, and I hope for you too Jim, it just goes swimmingly. Twice my doctor expressed "surprise" at how well I was doing. At the end of the visit the MD said, "See you in a year."

I'll confess I walked out of his office, snaked my way through the hospital, out the back door of the hospital, down the driveway, across the street, to the parking garage, up the elevator, most of the way across the 4th floor, and got about 25 feet from my car and I could hold my emotions in no longer. I burst into tears, I couldn't walk anymore, and had to drop to one knee to keep from falling over, right in the middle of the parking garage.

I hope you get to enjoy the same release of a LOT of emotion you've got inside Jim. I know you've been disciplined and you've been working hard at doing the right stuff. Doing all the right stuff, in the vast majority of cases, is justly rewarded. I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOU !

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 30th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Jim, that is wonderful. I hope that he does give you early release. I have never had driving restrictions either, but I did take myself off the road at one stage early on when I was on beta blockers. After a close call with Lauren in the car, I realized that I was not safe to be on the road, so I put my car into storage. I just was not seeing all that I should have, and my reaction times were bad. I am back driving now, but only on little trips, anything longer, someone else takes me.

I am hoping that you get to do the bunny dance or the man cry, just like our wonderful Joe, after your next appointment.

bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan bunnydan
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Juicydb

Post by Juicydb » December 30th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Hi Jim, I've been down that road - on foot just like you! I had also hoped to get an early release from my initial six-month sentence, but it didn't happen. My doctor said the restriction- which he'd noted in writing in my file - was to protect him from an insurance company coming after him if I had an accident if I drove "against medical orders" before the end of the restricted period. Funny thing was that my restriction coincided with my older son learning to drive so he got lots of practice driving me all over. Once you do get back to driving - and it would be nice if your doctor sprung you early - be sure to ease back into it. Where I live we have all kinds of crazy drivers and heavy, fast-moving traffic, so it took a bit of time to get back into the groove. I did develop a short-lived but very scary phobia of driving over bridges. Some heavy duty yoga training helped me get through that panicky phase. I thought all was going great when after about a year, out of the blue, my ICD fired and I began another six months of no driving. Since then, I've been on meds to keep my heart rate low and have had no incidents. I've been back on the road since last January. I'm very grateful for every day that I get to drive but I realize that I may face future restrictions and that I should plan to alter my lifestyle so that I am able to get around without driving. We are looking forward to moving into the city when our younger son is done with high school here in the suburbs. I hope to do so before the next big bang, but at least now I have a house full of drivers! Best wishes for a great outcome! Happy New Year! Julia
"Exciting is not the same as fun."

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 30th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Maybe we should start a "Free Jim" protest. We could send thousands of Emails to his doctor. If we find out later it was a mistake we can help bail Jim out of jail. nononono
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 30th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Jim. I hope you get the go ahead to drive when you see your Cardiologist.

I didn't drive for 7 months and 17 days. I know the feeling. At first, when I was given a three month ban, I was so devastated. Then, after I received "therapy" numerous times (shock storm), an additional 6 month ban was added. At that point, I didn't even care any more that I couldn't drive.

Because you've learned to enjoy walking, I'm sure you won't give it up when you start driving again.

I walk every work day to and from the train station. It's only about a 13 minute brisk walk each way, but the "old" me would have never walked...I so would have driven. When I reach downtown, I have another 13 minute brisk walk to my office. So, I walk a total of about an hour each day, 5 days a week. I've never taken my car, to the station, not even in the pouring rain, freezing cold or snow storm...I'm afraid if I take it once, I might like it :lol:
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Shanks

Post by Shanks » December 30th, 2011, 11:41 pm

I just had mine put in and the doctor or anyone ever tell me there was a driving restriction. How do they enforce that rule? Do they take your license away, report your name to the DMV, make you sign a paper on release from hospital? Just curious. The only thing that really sucks about sitting in the drivers seat is the seat belt goes perfectly over your ICD... that was a sweet suprise the first time I jumped into my truck. huhhh I am a tucker now...lol. Well good luck driving again and keep it between the lines!!! huhhh
Scott Allen
Long Beach, MS
A-Fib/Tachycardia/Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy (Mar 11)
Left/Right Atrial Ablation (Oct 11)
Bradycadia with long VT (Nov 11)
AICD Medtronics Protecta DR (Dec 11)
Atrial Ablation #2 (Jan 12)
Atrial Ablation #3 (Mar 13)
10mg lisinoprol, 100mg Metoprolol, 40mg Forosemide, 20mg Xarelto, 400mg Amiodarone, Spironolactone 25 mg, 1mg Xanax.
EF in March 2011 10%, EF in Sep 11 25-30'ish% and now Mar 12...40-45%.
Email: sallen133@yahoo.com
Intro: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 756#p85756
FaceBool: https://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.allen133

gijss

Post by gijss » December 31st, 2011, 4:55 am

Shanks wrote:I just had mine put in and the doctor or anyone ever tell me there was a driving restriction. How do they enforce that rule? ...
In the Netherlands there is a 2-month driving restriction after implant or a shock (unless dr decides for longer).
How they enforce it? Not at all. But ... from people working at insurance companies I know that it will be no problem when hitting a car and cause a problem of a few 000's of $$. BUT when it gets serious, you are involved in an accident where people are serious hurt ... they will find out. You are considdered no different from serious drunk or otherwise not driving with a valid licence.

Funny thing was with driving restriction that the first times it was a serious problem - until the ban period was over. I know now that 'not driving' was the personification of my health issue.
Later occurences I considdered the 2 months as a 'recovery period' which I think was needed to drive without anxiety.
My name is Gijs but in English you can call me Gilbert as this might be easier te remember :-)

SCA Nov 13, 2004, shocked Sep 2 (2x) & 5 2005, Dec 31 2005, May 20 2006, Dec 29 2008, Oct 31 2009 and April 6 2010 (3x). 'Repaired' by epicardial ablation April 16th, 2010.
First ICD Guidant Vitallity, second (May 16, 2012) Boston Scientific Energen ICD

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 31st, 2011, 8:52 am

Shanks wrote:I just had mine put in and the doctor or anyone ever tell me there was a driving restriction. How do they enforce that rule? Do they take your license away, report your name to the DMV, make you sign a paper on release from hospital? Just curious. The only thing that really sucks about sitting in the drivers seat is the seat belt goes perfectly over your ICD... that was a sweet suprise the first time I jumped into my truck. huhhh I am a tucker now...lol. Well good luck driving again and keep it between the lines!!! huhhh
Some doctors will take your license or report the restriction to your drivers license agency. In the USA most don't. I get the feeling from what I have read on this site that there is a pretty high percentage who need an adjustment or two on their ICD after implant. I had an almost 3 month restriction after my bypass and only a couple of weeks after my implant.
I have a sheep skin cover over my seatbelt and keep it about 2 inches down from my ICD location. the belt does not push on my icd site but I am protected with the seat belt. It was about $3 at WalMart. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 31st, 2011, 9:44 am

Shanks wrote:I just had mine put in and the doctor or anyone ever tell me there was a driving restriction.
Here in Ontario, Canada, it's a 3 month ban when sustained VT has been recorded. it's a six month ban when you receive a legitimate shock(s).
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » December 31st, 2011, 10:50 am

Thanks everybody for the support. I was pretty angry about this restriction for awhile, but realized, just because of my symptoms and the way I felt, that I really should not be driving. It has been so long now that, like Suzanne, a major lifestyle change has worked a way into my life. And I have to say it has been very good for me and I don't plan to go completely back to my old ways. In fact, now I look at driving as a supplemental way to get around as opposed to the primary way to get around.

As far as the rules go, I'm no expert. As far as I know the drivers license bureau does not keep track of this. I don't know why my restriction was so long, but I don't care anymore. I think most people ignore these restrictions anyway, but I assume my doctor has a very good reason. I defer to his expertise in all matters heart related.

But, let me tell you, if a very nice Sunday afternoon develops with lots of sunshine, little wind and reasonable temperatures, then I am very likely to take an hour or two, put on my helmet and gear and get out of town on the motorbike. DadManBob will definitely understand. It's a Zen thing.

And Al? Not to be stereotypical, but I'll try not to have a head on collision with a wheat field.

And Joe and Chrissy, bunny dances and deep emotions are definite possibilities for that day. I was never this emotional before my heart attack and SCA's.

Take Care All and have a wonderful new year!
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917