All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011
Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators
- Posts: 4355
- Joined: February 10th, 2009, 4:56 pm
- Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great
AARP had almost an identical article last year on 'surgeries to avoid' and we had a thread here somewhere. The key was to wait a week or two until AFTER a cathertization to decide on getting a stent or not. I think in general, we all disagreed with that idea. Their electronic newsletter is at it again:
http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-t ... &USEG_ID=0
The article seems a bit more specific this time. . .
If a patient is having a heart attack, a stent can be a lifesaver. But for heart disease patients with stable angina — chest pain brought on by exertion or stress — a stent is not better at preventing a heart attack or prolonging survival than lifestyle changes such as exercising and taking statins to lower cholesterol. . . . that the catheterization should be done first as a diagnostic test, and stenting done later, if necessary. "This should be a two-stage procedure, but patients never get to leave the cath lab to think about it,"
As I read this now, I'm thinking health = stent OR exercise. So what is wrong with (stent + exercise) particularly if you might not keep up with exercise? And if you have already shoved a tube up my groin do I really want to consider you doing it again next week?
This may be good for discussion though with your cardiologist if only to feel him/her out on their philosophy on stents. Seems like there are a lot of stents on the board.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking
- Posts: 974
- Joined: July 14th, 2011, 7:28 pm
- Location: PA
mrag wrote:As I read this now, I'm thinking health = stent OR exercise. So what is wrong with (stent + exercise) particularly if you might not keep up with exercise? And if you have already shoved a tube up my groin do I really want to consider you doing it again next week?
Well I agree on the fact that if they ran a tube up my groin and they found on me two arteries that were 95% blocked one on the right and one on the left along with one 100% blocked on the left and dead muscle. So they did my first one on the right at the same time. At least by doing that it sent my kidneys into downward. the second one was delayed two months.
So for me if you are having a catherization and it find blockage of my size of 95% I would want them opened ASAP with a stent.
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer