Question about V-tach and Pain

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Eric

Question about V-tach and Pain

Post by Eric » September 19th, 2012, 3:33 pm

All,

Just got back from my EP and I have had my first recorded episodes of VT. Only two that showed up in record mode, but the question I have is as follows:

For the past 5 weeks or so I have been struggling with chest pain and have gone to the ER several times. Was wondering if those of you who have experienced short bursts of V-tach have had any pain associated with it? I have read that pain is a possible occurence and I have been getting the frog in the throat, feeling like going to pass out thing from time to time, but based on my last interrogation and other issues that I had gone through earlier in the spring, had assumed that it was all sinus driven tacchardyia that was happening and was not attributing that to the pain, but now I am questioning whether the pain I have been feeling is due to possible short runs of VT.
Anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

ROBO Pop

Re: Question about V-tach and Pain

Post by ROBO Pop » September 19th, 2012, 4:03 pm

We don't all experience the same symptoms for any specific issue. All I can say is when I have V-Tach I sometimes have discomfort, but not really Angina pain.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

attagirl

Post by attagirl » September 19th, 2012, 9:27 pm

I get short runs of SVT and V-tach. I will get super lightheaded, and chest pain but not the angina type. It feels like someone is in there taping on my chest. It is not the ATP as noted from ICD readings, but just bursts that happen suddenly and poof go away. I will feel funny and slighty dizzy hours afterwards. I had my ICD read 3 weeks ago and I saw something unusual while looking at the strip. I saw something that looked like a very irregular heart beat like a bunch of saw teeth, or something to that effect, and when I asked the tech what is was, he said "oh that is just noise" what does he mean by that? I sometimes think they keep things like that away from us. Like Monday at the breakfat table I had a short run of something that lasted for about 5-10 beats, I called the cardio and was told if I didn't "convert" when I have them then go to the ER. Well what are you supposed to do if you convert back to normal while enroute to the ER? What I hate is going to the ER and they find nothing and look at you like you're a total loon, and send you home like you're loosing it....ugg..Another thing do ICD's pick up A-fib? Robo Pop mentioned on an earlier post that some docs refer to SVT's as a form of A-fib.
*~Dot~*

Biotronik Lumax 540 VR-T
Implant Date May 26th 2011
Hereditary Cardiomyopathy
Family History of SCD
Asthma

Medications:
Carvedilol 18.75 mg 2x Daily
Lisinopril 2.5 mg 1x Daily
Spironolactone 25 mg 1x Daily
Furosemide 20 mg 1x Daily
ASA 81 mg 1x Daily
Symbicort 160/4.5 2x Daily

Supplements:
Alive Women's Multi Vitamin
iFlora Multi Probiotic
CoQ10
L-Carnitine
Vitamin D-3

tahdahh

attagirl

Post by attagirl » September 19th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Another thingm the more SVT's I have the more the cardio wants to raise the Beta Blocker...cheese and rice....
*~Dot~*

Biotronik Lumax 540 VR-T
Family History of SCD
Asthma

Medications:
ASA 81 mg 1x Daily

Supplements:
iFlora Multi Probiotic
CoQ10
L-Carnitine
Vitamin D-3

tahdahh

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 19th, 2012, 11:25 pm

The only thing I can add is that I also had the frog-in-the-throat feeling during my last in-office interrogation. The tech said he was going to try some things that might make me feel strange and to tell him about them. I had that feeling three times and he seemed pleased by it. I do remember that he commented that during one of them he had ramped up my heart rate for a few seconds to 130 bpm. I'm usually at about 84 when at rest and I usually ramp it up to about 115 -118 with vigorous exercise without feeling anything odd.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

attagirl

Post by attagirl » September 20th, 2012, 7:52 am

I will get the frog in the throat feeling, like as if my throat is almost swelling. When I get SVT's my heart rate will go up to 130-140 bpm, then poof back down. I get burst of those often. Wonder why the cardio seems to not be worried about them since I already have genial cardiomyopathy I am worried about them turning into V-tach, which is why I have the ICD to begin with. He thinks raising the coreg will take care of these. We raised the coreg and I still get them, and the coreg has not seemed to have helped meaning I don't feel a difference between the old 6.25 2x daily and the now 12.5 2x daily dose, I mean no difference at all....strange. I am thinking of going to the hospital today as I have not been feeling well the last couple days..but don't want to be sent home with the old nothing wrong, take a antacid...that happened last time. I was feeling very bloated and constipated, went to the ER to be sent home with Pepcid, which did not work, nothing worked until I doubled up on my Lasix for a few days and then everything seemed to start working with 2 days. But the ER doc wrote it down as indigestion..see that is the reason I hate going to the ER...I was water logged and they wrote it off as Indigestion...
*~Dot~*

Biotronik Lumax 540 VR-T
Family History of SCD
Asthma

Medications:
ASA 81 mg 1x Daily

Supplements:
iFlora Multi Probiotic
CoQ10
L-Carnitine
Vitamin D-3

tahdahh

Eric

Post by Eric » September 20th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Well I was hoping for more replies - I did see a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor today. He gave me the once over, told me that everyone's responses to V-tach are different and yes it can cause pain. He has put together a plan of action for me to see if we can get over the constant pain I am in. I will start with applying patches of an anti-inflammatory to my chest area, especially over my ICD site as my pocket was sore and tender this morning on examination (He wanted to do a lidocaine patch, but my EP has said no in the past, so he will not chance it), I will then start a new medicine to replace my Gabapentin for neuropathy to see if it will help. The new medicine is Lyrica. I will then also start in the beginning of October to be seen by him about every week and a half to make minor adjustments to my spine/muscles/joints in my neck area to see if he can relax pressure off my nervous systems going to heart to see if that will relieve some of the pain. I am praying that this type of treatment will work.
If any of you are interested, I will keep you updated on my experiences as I go through them.
I will say I realy liked this doc today, he listened and also understood and explained why he felt all of those doc's with the title that ends with "Ologist" don't deal with the lingering and mystifying problems that some of us deal with. For me, he was another doc that I can add to the list of ones that I like and feel I can trust. Love when I find those breath's of fresh air.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 20th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Eric ~

I for one would like to know how things go, and whether successful or not, what the procedure(s) are. You can always PM me if you don't want to post a thread.

Robo
Broken Heart

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » September 20th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Hi - Eric

Sorry your having probs. For me, with my C-Pulse, it's fairly easy to figure out what my hearts doing as it audibly mimics my heart beat. I know when it's normal, a-fib, PAC, PVC, VT. They all make different sounds, speeds and rhythm.

I have many short runs of a-fib every day, mostly 5-8 beats that I don't feel but can hear. Even in prolonged a-fib of 125-150HR I rarely feel palpitations, just makes me feel- Blahhhhh as it causes about a 30% reduction in blood flow. I have no angina with a-fib.

I also have several runs of v-tach every day, these are usually short, 3-8 beats and give my heart a dull ache like somebody reached in and gave it a squeeze. Longer runs give me palpitations and light headed feeling. Longer runs I've had up to 19 seconds actually feel like I'm having a heart attack with tightness in chest, trouble breathing, arm and chest pain going up to neck and jaw.

The only time I've had angina was 3-4 months after my heart blew up and after I was getting over a bout of pericarditis. I went to the ER and after a clean EKG they gave me a "Velvet Slipper" a small cocktail of equal parts liquid lidocaine and liquid Tylonal. Made my chest all warm and fuzzy and after the angina went away they sent me home.

But, yeah, everybodys different. Alan

Eric

Post by Eric » September 20th, 2012, 2:44 pm

KansasAl,

What you are describing when you described your V-tach sure sounds an awful lot like how I feel. I know I have runs of something every day, but for the longest time I would have swore (Due to other tests done) that they were all SVT, however now that I have actual recorded events of VT, I wonder if what I have been feeling is VT that my device does not record. My shock settings are quite high, so no shocks yet. I get this dull ache, almost like a deep bruise and then at times, I get the feeling like I am having the heart attack symptoms. The dull ache, sometimes stronger ached occurs almost daily with the stronger feelings coming less often, but when I get the hard pain it feels like someone took a hot iron rod and shoved it through my chest. Of course a patient like me, with a cardiac history, cannot take a chance when I get in that much chest pain, so I end up in the ER just in case. I hate going, but I know the one time I don't go will be the one time I should have. (My luck)

Robo - I will definitely let you know how things progress. I will get silent for a week in October as I will be in Japan for my work, so will probably update you at the end of October

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » September 20th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Hi Eric :)

I too want to know how your doing! I've been following your post, mostly on my phone, I just haven't had the chance to respond.
I'm so sorry for all you've been experiencing. How incredibly frustrating it must all be.!
Like ROBO Pop said, we all don't experience the same symptoms. However, the way your describing your symptoms, I don't think they're related to your bouts of VT. I know, I'm not a Doctor, it's just my opinion/feeling.
For me, my symptoms when I experienced sustained VT (usually lasting 1-3 minutes....longest was 65 minutes) were a sudden feeling of lightheadedness, like I was about to pass out, then it would go away as fast as it started, then I would feel the rapid strong heart rate. It did make my chest feel tight sometimes, but I'm not sure if that was due to the VT or my brain knowing something was wrong, but no pain.
I sure hope they figure out what is wrong Eric. To be in constant pain is not all right! I pray too that your new treatment works and I'm happy your new Doc listens and you like him.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Chrisg

Post by Chrisg » September 21st, 2012, 8:32 am

Hi Eric just been reading your tread.
I hope you're improving and the Doctors are getting to grips with your pain and anxiety.
Your correct in not ignoring your symptoms.
I would have no hesitation in “dropping “ into any ER if I thought my condition warrant it.

As you rightly say "Better safe than sorry".

Please keep us posted.
Chris

:snoball:
Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia
1st Medtronic ICD Dec 07; 2nd August 09; 3rd on right side Sept, 2011
14 Shock Storm July 09; 5 days induced coma
Sprint Fidelis Lead and ICD Explanted July 09
3 Ventricle Ablations July 2009
Lead Erosion; Leads and ICD Explanted August 2011
Medtronic ICD Re-implanted Right side Sept, 2011
Fractured Lead ; Lead left in and new Medtronic Lead and ICD implanted August 2017
Drugs: Mexiletine .50mg 2 daily; Metoprolol .25mg 2 daily. Omacor

Eric

Post by Eric » October 5th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Well here is an update.

First - The anitinflammatory patch worked wonders. I wore two patches two days in a row, no pain for almost a week and a half around my ICD pocket. Finally some relief in that part of the chest, however the deep pain still exists. So yesterday I saw the Physiotherapist for my first round of adjustments.
What he is doing is slowly trying to work on my spine, neck and ribs to take pressure off the nerves going to my left chest. It seems I have at least two ribs that are very unflexible where they come off my spine. He kept poking one place in my back and asking if it hurt or bothered me, which it did not. So he slowly started to massage, push and poke certain areas of my back. I laid on my stomach for a while as he worked on me. I then turned on my back and he worked on that area again for some time, mostly pressing pressure points. I can tell you, whatever he was doing caused the pain to start to flair up. He held his fingers on the pressure points for some time and by the time he got done there, my whole back, chest and even down my left leg were hurting.
I told with him how I was going to be in more pain when I left his office than when I came in, however whatever pressure point he was poking definitely was a source of irratation.
He then worked on my left arm and back, trying to gently pull and stretch muscle and bone. At one point, my ICD pocket area started to hurt and he stopped working as hard on the arm and became more gentler.
Finally he finished with my neck area, working and trying to loosen the muscles and bones within.
Overall - I hurt really bad when I left and am still in a lot of pain today. Three pain killers and also a 800mg Ibuprofen today, just to get by but I do believe he may be on to something so I will continue to have these treatments approx. every two weeks for this month and then perhaps on a more frequent schedule to see if they will end up helping some of the pain go away.

Also- I had to laugh, as I was telling him my symptoms that I had experienced between my last visit with him, he said "I wish we could do an MRI, it would answer so many questions". I told him my GP has stated the same thing many of times and that I had floated the idea of having a MRI done when I had my battery replaced in about a year with my EP. My EP was dead set against me having one, even during the procedure. He stated several reasons, from increased risk of infection to the possibility of the magnets messing with my leads, especially in me since I have not had the best of luck with leads. I understand his concerns, but would sure like to get some answers, so was very dissappointed that he would not even consider it. His response was "We have done that on occassion, but typically only in extreme cases such as brain cancer".

Anyway - that is the update for now. Will keep you guys posted in about a month after several more adjustments to let you know if they are working or not.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » October 5th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Eric ~

Thanks for the update, but I do have to admit to some confusion. I thought we were talking about V-Tach brought on by heart disease. Now it looks like we are discussing a massage parlor with a big hairy guy named Al rubbing you the wrong way, all over. Guess I need to review our earlier discussions.

Whatever, I hope you start feeling better soon, or find a better masseuse, at least one that's pretty.
Broken Heart

Eric

Post by Eric » October 5th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Robo,

My initial question was "Is the V-tach I am experiencing causing the pain", my EP said no, however I wanted to get other peoples experiences with it as other docs, even the Hairy guy name Al, have said that all people experience pain different.
I am trying some different approaches to get rid of the pain, hoping that it is not V-tach that is causing it, but something else.
Hopefully that clears it up. :)

BTW - His name is Jeff and yes he is hairy, but he is a doctor, so what do you do? whewsmile

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count