Question about V-tach and Pain

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Ozchrissy

Re: Question about V-tach and Pain

Post by Ozchrissy » October 8th, 2012, 5:25 am

Hi Eric, I am just going to add another spanner to the works, what if the pain is causing the V Tach. I know when I was in CCU they noted a lot of runs of VTach, one that was just below the threshold of my shock settings which they all were talking about as they saw my device ramp it down. I was as you know in extreme pain, which I think would increase adrenaline etc and other system changes in our system. I of course have no real idea but it may be something worth considering. Could be the chicken and the egg thing, I know I experienced a lot more runs than I normally would whilst in this state of pain. I have to organize an interrogation soon as I missed my last scheduled one as I was in Hospital, so when I get my rescheduled appointment will ask if this is a valid approach.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Eric

Post by Eric » October 8th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Chrissy,

Never thought about that and that is a good point. Please let me know what you find out about that. I am not sure if I asked my EP if he would answer or not. However, I do see my GP next week and she might know, so I will ask her.
I will say, I have been worse since last Thursday (Adjustment from the physiotherapist) and now the pain goes from the chest all the way around my side to my back. Typical Heart Attack symptoms. I have not checked myself into an ER quite yet (thought about it several times, like right now -seriously-) but I am sure I will just get the same old routine of "your not having a heart attack".
I may end up going today however as the pain is pretty severe and have taken medicine along with having a medicated patch on one of the areas that hurt. If I could I would have about three of the patches on me, however I can only do one at a time.
I am so glad you are back and answering posts, it is nice to hear from you and I sure do hope you are recovering well. Time to spoil yourself Chrissy, so do it well!!

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

Eric

Post by Eric » October 8th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Chrissy -

Well I decided to go to the ER today - Just too much pain and I knew I was having lots of palpitations (of what type I do not know). Asked for an interrogation while I was there to see if I could tie anything today to what I was feeling, but alas, my device never recorded anything - Never got over 155 BPM. I know from my heart rate monitor that I hit 144 one time and several times shot up to the 120's, 130's. So probably SVT, but I guess it could have been low grade VT.
Anyway - I know the tech who interrogated me and he is aware I have been fighting this pain issue for some time now. He asked who was working on it. I told him several doctors who are and then I asked him, since I have just started having recorded events and they somewhat correspond with when the pain started (Back earlier this year) could the pain be causing the arrythmia's. His response was this:
"Well it would depend on whom you talked too, you could ask one doctor and he would say absoloutely pain could cause V-tach or other arrythmia's, but then you ask another doctor and he would say no way, no correlation" He also said St. Jude has not done any double blind studies where they have intentionally left someone in pain to see if the pain was the cause of the arrythmia. Makes sense to me why they have not tested for it, so that is one of those answers that probably never will be answered. I still would like you to ask your EP, just to see what he says.
Would be interesting if enough of us asked our docs to see the varying opinions that we would get.
Anyway, that is my story and I am sticking to it. Got shot up with Morphine and Tordol in the hospital and have been home an hour and the pain is starting really bad once again. I am so tired of it, really getting me down. I am starting to see a therapist for depression as it really got to me the last couple of weeks. I just hope the docs don't give up on me. All I really want is just to have a normal life without pain. Really am hoping the Physiotherapist can help me with that.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » October 9th, 2012, 9:03 am

Oh Eric I am so sorry you are going through this. Have they done an angiogram to check for blockages. All my problems last year seem to be able to be related back to my coronary artery blockage that was fixed this year. It was only found out via the angiogram.

Interestingly I had a great deal of pain this afternoon and was lying on the couch, and my heart was going to town. Started after the pain. Didn't do a pulse rate as I couldn't get off the couch to get the monitor, and couldn't find my glasses to do the manual one, but definitely racing away. Once it settled down, so did my pulse.

Will be sure to check out this with my ep, and thank you for reminding me, must make the appointment tomorrow. Had a bad day with pain, my nerves are starting to mend from around my incisions, and also internally, and it is starting to give me heaps of pain. But it does go away eventually with pain meds and lying in different positions, so hopefully this is a temporary thing. I get a district nurse daily still, and she is of the same opinion, so won't be rushing to the er just yet. The joys of major surgery I am told. I have a great big incision on my back from where they went in through my ribs and another one from my sternum to my belly button, so I do look a bit like a zippered lady at the moment. Let alone all the stiches internally. Oh by the way I have titanium staples inside too, so I am going to have lots of fun at airports.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Eric

Post by Eric » January 27th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Well thought I would give an update to any of those who care.

As some of you know, I have had daily chest pain, sometimes very severe that the doctors cannot explain. This is accompanied sometimes by numbness down the left side of my body (chest down through my leg) and also lots of muscle twitching. Here is what I have gone through so far:
Cardiologist: Rules out any type of pain caused due to blockages
Electrophysiologist: Rules out pain caused by V-tach (supposedly), also states that in no way could this be caused by my shock storm
GP: Frustrated as there has been no progress, works with me to go down another path
Neurologist: Tests arm and leg nerve responses (shocking :shock: - yes this was a fun one after experiencing a shock storm, more like torture if you ask me) Discovers I have severe Carpal Tunnel syndrome in both arms - Tests for MS due to numbness and twitching, but finds nothing.
GP: Still frustrated as still no answers -sends me to OD (Start of this thread)
OD: Attempts to manipulate my spine and ribs going to the area where I feel pain. Gets some movement of joints, but every time he does, pain flares up very bad. Finally he is frustrated as I do not seem to be responding, recommends I get an intercostal nerve block of the area affected.
Spinal Doctors: Numb the nerves where they go off the spine in an attempt to reduce the area where my pain is. Pain goes away in that area, but while the doc was numbing my skin, he pokes a little to far with the needle and hits the nerve. Now I have pain on the side of my body along the same nerve.
OD: Happy that chest pain in primary location is gone, but dissapointed that I now have pain on the side. Attempts to numb that pain using injections directly on affected site. Injection works, pain goes away however when anethisia wears off, sudden intense pain along my spinal column down to my leg, following the same path where I have had the numbness. Worst part, primary location chest pain returns with a vengenance. Doc raises me up to over recommended dosage of Lyrica - drug is wearing me out. OD has actually talked to my GP and both are discussing me and my treatment, both wish I could have an MRI. MRI not possible, so now tomorrow I recieve a Mylogram (Inject spinal fluid with contrast dye then use CT scan to observe my nerves)

So - tomorrow I once again get to get my spine poked, not looking forward to it at all. Hope and pray that the doctors will see something that will explain what is happening. Both my OD (who deals with weird cases of pain), my GP and the Spinal doctors all believe the shock storm caused enough trauma to alter my nerves. EP flat out denies it. moodbad

Also - during the last month, every day is runs of either PVC's, VT or SVT. Some have been pretty long and I have almost passed out, so those I suspect are the V-tach. Others are short in duration, so not sure what they are. Interesting thing to note: Right after the nerve block when everything was numb from the lidocaine and anethesia I was free from any ectopic beats. It was a great day.

Hope everyone else out there is doing fine.

Eric

(Oh, I am not quite the story teller that Robo Pop is worshippy , so you will have to excuse my dry, boring monologe and poor spelling. lmao4dx
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » January 27th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Geez Eric, I really don't know what to say, besides I sure hope they figure you're issues out.

Who knows what exact trauma your shock storm caused?!!! Your EP can say he believes your storm was not the cause, but he really can't say for sure. Maybe it triggered something, maybe not?

I just hope whatever it is they're doing next helps you!
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

wen

Post by wen » January 27th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Eric,

Wow, is all I can say about your story. I sure hope your doctors find the cause of all your pain!

As to your original question, when I have had V-tach I have not had pain at all. I feel lightheaded and kind of dizzy and just "weird', like I might pass out.

Take care and let us know what the doctors find out!

Wendy
Left Bundle Branch Block
Non-ischemic Cardiomyopathy
V-Tach
ICD-Boston Scientific Teligen (2-lead) installed 7-7-09

Eric

Post by Eric » January 28th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Well - spine punctured, dye added and torture is now over. I am confined to sitting for the next 6 hours only to get up to go to the bathroom. :) (Too bad it is not Super Bowl Sunday, man what an excuse that would be lmao4dx ) I also am supposed to drink lots of fluids, avoiding of course alcohol. :( (not that I drank anyway).
They want me upright to ensure that the dye does not enter my brain. Back is sore and chest pain is hurting, but I am hoping to get through it. The nurse (not a doctor) only hit one nerve on the way in. Lit me up like a Christmas tree when he did that. :expld" Will get results tomorrow and I will let you all know.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 28th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Glad you got through this one. Take it easy and take advantage of the nursing staff. Now need to let us know the results.

I do notice that "thing" around your neck is still there. No Cure found for it yet ?? dancee
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Eric

Post by Eric » January 28th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Bob,

It is Scarfalophegaus, it is a rare, mysterious and misunderstood disease of the neck which affects the mind. I have not had a chance to study it much, I just know it has me in an interesting place believing I am actually somebodies long lost cousin. Now which one of you out there is it???

Eric

I want to know!!!!!!

lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

Eric

Post by Eric » January 29th, 2013, 4:03 am

Well, I am awake when I should be asleep. Took a nice trip to our local zoo tonight,(oops I mean ER). Seems I had a mild (I think strong) reaction to the contrast dye they used for my myelogram. About 5:45 last evening, I suddenly broke out in a cold sweat, got nausea's, and felt miserable. They said nausea could be one of the side effects, but was surprised how lousy I felt. Decided to check the vitals, WTH - HR at 111, not good. Check BP -WTH BP at 109/70, damn something is wrong with me (BP is normally much higher). Monitored my HR for a while, continually at 100+ and then I start getting runs of V-tach, HR jumps to 190, stays there for several seconds, then back down to 100+. Does this for a while, call radiology, Is this normal? Answer: This is not caused by your radiology test you had today, but if your HR is that high and continues to stay that high, then you should go to ER.
Go to ER, I mean zoo, check in and grab a number. Feel like I am in a line at the DMV waiting on my turn. (I could have swore I told them V-tach on check in.) Finally, number gets called and in I go to triage. HR still chirping along, running a marathon while sitting down is truly fun. ECG, IV and they suddenly open a room for me (I cheated and told them I had chest pain - I did, but it came later. :( ). Get to room, doc has looked at my labs and orders IV fluids and Benadryl.
Fluids and Benadryl taken, HR starts to drop, but BP still low and getting lower. Pain starts in chest. Morphine added to mix. Starting to feel better but the damn bed I am on keeps trying to dump me on the floor. It has a plastic cover, so it continually is sliding down towards the bottom of the bed and onto the floor. Every time it does it, it aggravates the spinal puncture area. Damn, are they going to tell me anything.
6 hours later and here I am - The Contrast dye managed to hit my kidneys hard, cause my BP to drop and worse caused my heart to start to go into SVT, VT and even sinus driven tachycardia. Well no work for me tomorrow. Damn tests are worst than the ailment, I swear.

So this is how I feel at the moment............ moodbad :expld" moodbad

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

Eric

Post by Eric » January 29th, 2013, 4:03 am

Damn, can't even get the computer to work - double posted. :(
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 29th, 2013, 8:43 am

I am so sorry you are going through all of this stuff. I do understand the ZOO (ER) reference as I too spent the night there last month. (I'm OK now). I pray they can get you back up and running.

wavhi
Eric wrote:Bob,

It is Scarfalophegaus, it is a rare, mysterious and misunderstood disease of the neck which affects the mind. I have not had a chance to study it much, I just know it has me in an interesting place believing I am actually somebodies long lost cousin. Now which one of you out there is it???
Eric
I guess that there is not an easy cure for all. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Eric

Post by Eric » January 29th, 2013, 8:47 am

Well
Onward and Forward (as my good friend Carl said)
I am awake, have had my cup of coffee, off to take a shower and then off to get me test results. Wish me luck that they have found what has been plaguing me.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 29th, 2013, 11:12 am

As you can see, I had a scarfectomy and am nearly back to norm, or bob, or john - whoever.

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter here.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375