Cold and Flu Season Information

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Cold and Flu Season Information

Post by mrag » December 22nd, 2012, 10:46 am

There is a similar thread (and mentioning the lovely Neti pot) here.

And I just received the following which might be of interest to others. I didn't realize the pneumonia vaccine was an every 5 year deal :-(
University of Pennsylvania's Heart Failure/Transplant Program wrote:Cold and Flu Season Information

The following are suggestions for patients under the care of the University of Pennsylvania's Heart Failure/Transplant Program.

VACCINES

A yearly influenza vaccine and every five years a pneumococcal vaccine are recommended. Information about the vaccines are available at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-National Immunization Program (CDC) website www.cdc.gov/nip, or by phone at 800-232-2522.

Below are the common symptoms of a cold and the medications which are safe to use to treat these symptoms. Remember, not all of the over the counter medicines available in stores are safe for patients with heart disease. Do not take products containing pseudoephedrine/neosynephrine.

Nasal congestion/rhinitis - runny nose

-Nonprescription/Over the counter products
Claritin (loratidine)
Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine)
Benadryl (diphenhydramine)
Ocean nasal mist or any saline nasal spray

-Prescription
Allegra (fexofenadine)
Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Sore throat or cough
Robitussin/Robitussin DM (guaifenesin/guaifenesin with dextromethorphan)
Throat lozenges
Throat sprays

Headache/aching
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) - Please note that acetaminophen may mask a fever and you should check your temperature before taking acetaminophen.

You should notify your doctor if the following symptoms occur:
Persistent cough more than 3-5 days
Temperature greater than 100.5 Fahrenheit, and/or shaking chills
Sputum change in color, amount
shortness of breath
Wheezing
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Eric

Re: Cold and Flu Season Information

Post by Eric » December 22nd, 2012, 11:30 am

Al,

Yep - a 5 year deal on that. Had mine 4 years ago, so you know what is coming up for me as it seems I cannot get out of a doctors office come cold or flu season without someone sticking a needle in me.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ » December 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm

Where were you a week ago? Just recovered from bad cold or mild flu--don't know which but I wondered what was safe to take and felt too bad to research. Thanks any way! Have filed the info. Have checked on it before and probably have the info somewhere, but was too sick to mess with shuffling through the papers. Will have it handy next time.
2/11/09 MI, SCD
2/12/09 2 stents in LAD, 1 drug eluting, 1 bare metal
2/17/09 Implanted Medtronic Virtuoso II DR
AFib, Leaky Mitral Valve
My intro at http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 650#p61650

dadmanbob

Post by dadmanbob » December 22nd, 2012, 5:11 pm

I wonder why doctors have different ways of doing things. I have never been told to get any shots for cold or flu or pneumonia vaccine yet.

:xmassleigh: :freez:
BOB
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
Med's
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
ZANTAC 150MG

I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer

garya

Post by garya » December 22nd, 2012, 5:27 pm

I have never been told to get any shots for cold or flu or pneumonia vaccine yet
Sounds like your doctor is trying to tell you something in his own way.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 23rd, 2012, 9:07 am

dadmanbob wrote:I wonder why doctors have different ways of doing things. I have never been told to get any shots for cold or flu or pneumonia vaccine yet.

:xmassleigh: :freez:
I haven't either Bob.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 23rd, 2012, 10:27 am

I never got a flu shot until my heart attack, which I thought I had the flu.
I now get the "high" dose flu shot, recommended for those of us age challenged. I also have received the pneumonia vaccine and the shingles shot.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mrag

Post by mrag » December 23rd, 2012, 12:17 pm

As Gary only referenced in the link, but did not make clear
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-575 ... rotection/
Getting a flu shot might protect against heart disease and deadly heart attacks.

That's what a new study presented over the weekend at the 2012 Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Toronto found. It showed people who got an influenza vaccine were 50 percent less likely to experience a major cardiac event such as a heart attack, stroke or cardiac death, compared with those who had a placebo vaccine.....
A shingles vaccine shot is expensive and had about a 60% chance of being effective, but in the case if you still get shingles, it is supposedly a milder form. I do know shingles is rather unpleasant and so for older folks IMHO, I would think a no brainer vaccination. The pneumonia vaccine I am not familiar with although my doctor encourages it particularly among folks with an increased chance of finding themselves in a hospital (that's us folks). My own opinion is these three vaccinations warrant at least a mention with your doctor on the pros and cons.

Now Eric...when are we getting our booster tetanus shot? Been 10 years?

I just saw this article titled "Immunization Schedules for Adults in Easy-to-read Formats," but did not explore it for details. It can be found here. There is even a free quiz! And who says there is no Santa?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Eric

Post by Eric » December 23rd, 2012, 12:36 pm

Al,

Not to worry, been 6 years since I had mine and yes, doc always asks when I had my last Tetanus shot too. I just think my doctors like poking me with needles. I swear they get some kind of satisfaction watching me almost pass out every time I get a needle stuck in me.

I want you all just to imagine me sticking myself with a needle 5 times a day due to my diabetes, the reaction is the same as mentioned above, I about pass out, but if I don't do it, then heart disease will get worse. You would think that I would have gotten over my fear of needles, but needless to say I have not.

For those of you who have not had any of the above mentioned shots, I would talk to your doctor about them. I have only had the flu once in the last 5 years (the swine flu) and pneumonia about 6 years ago, about 6 months before they discovered I had Heart failure. That is when I got introduced to the Pneumonia vaccine. Hope everyone is keeping healthy!

Eric
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

mrag

Post by mrag » December 23rd, 2012, 5:23 pm

Needles, you wanta talk needles? I had 'blood drawn' last Wednesday, here is my arm today (Sunday). Yea, I'm a fan of sharp pointed objects inserted into mt body. It runs in the genes too. My 7 year old grand daughter-they need three nurses, her mother and the doctor to hold her down to give her a vaccination. And today's needles are sharp-when I was a kid, they were about as sharp as a Bic ball point pen and just as big (true story!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 23rd, 2012, 9:55 pm

mrag wrote:Needles, you wanta talk needles? I had 'blood drawn' last Wednesday, here is my arm today (Sunday). Yea, I'm a fan of sharp pointed objects inserted into mt body.
Eric wrote:Al, I just think my doctors like poking me with needles. I swear they get some kind of satisfaction watching me almost pass out every time I get a needle stuck in me.
I want you all just to imagine me sticking myself with a needle 5 times a day due to my diabetes, the reaction is the same as mentioned above, I about pass out, but if I don't do it, then heart disease will get worse. Eric
OMG! men are SUCH Babies :roll:

lmao4dx
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » December 25th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the info on the meds we can and can't take. I have been struck with bad arthritis in my knees and when I asked my doctor what I could take he said, long term, nothing. He did agree to 250 mg of tylenol 2 x a day. I was afraid that Sudafed would be one of the forbidden meds.
I have been getting the flu shot for a few years now. My doctor always makes sure I get it. I got the pneumonia shot when I was in the hospital last year. I haven't gotten the shingles shot. I did have shingles years ago. It was pleasant but not as bad as I have heard it can be.
CHF, Cardiomyopathy and LBBB
EF 20%
St. Jude Bi Vent ICD CRT implanted September 9, 2011
7 shock storm inappropriate due to dislodged lead
damaged lead removed and replaced Sept 26, 2011
EF improved to 50% in December 2012
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

mrag

Post by mrag » January 25th, 2013, 9:40 pm

So OK, in the interest of medical research I got a cold or something. Slight fever, stuff nose, can get chills. I found some "Nasonex" in my med box. Is that stuff safe to take? It wasn't mentioned here before, but I'm assuming since I have it, it came via a legitimate medical professional.

Eric

Post by Eric » January 25th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Al,

I think you can take it, I have taken it before, but it always caused me nose bleeds. One other thing, usually it takes a week or so to reach full effectiveness according to the instructions.

Eric.
Eric [bot]

Lead revision 8/16/2011
Too many meds to count

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 26th, 2013, 3:32 pm

I had one of the bad coughs a few weeks ago and when I went to the pharmacist he reminded me of what over the counter things I should NOT take due to my other medications.

Why I am bringing this up again I just found out that an acid reducer I was directed to take has blown my INR ( blood test when on Warfarin) readings out of whack. When the nurse called me the other day due to a very high reading I did not realize that it was the day AFTER my last reading that I started this new medicine. I looked it up today and found it messes up the way your body takes Warfarin.

We need to be very sure what we take is good for us.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.