OT Broken pipes

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Mary Kay

OT Broken pipes

Post by Mary Kay » December 25th, 2012, 4:24 pm

On December 11th I got a call from my new roommate that the hot water pipe in the bathroom had broken. She had been in her bedroom eating breakfast and stood up into 2 inches of water. She called 911, which I would not have thought of and they came out with a water pump an got the water out. I called the wrong insurance company to file a report, then finally got home and called the right one. Thank goodness for good insurance. The next day a contractor came out, then the moisture detector guy, then the pull the floor up and cut the dry wall guy and then the movers and packers and finally, the asbestos guys. My entire house except for my kitchen and my other bathroom was packed up and moved to storage somewhere. They even took the paintings off the walls. I have a lot of nice heirlooms and this made me nervous. So by Friday my house was almost completely empty and Martha and I were put up in a local hotel which didn't take cats, so my kitties were boarded. We were in a nice quaint hotel. I got physically ill for the whole weekend. Could have been the flu, could have been stress. The problem was, that hotel was booked after Thursday. We had to move again. There is a silver lining to this, actually a couple.
The new place we are in is a beautiful spot high up in Ojai with a gorgeous view all around. I love it here and it is an apt. with a kitchen and she agreed to take my cats. We may be here for 3 more weeks. I couldn't believe turmoil a little water could cause. It is so strange to see my house empty with floors pulled up and 18 inches of dry wall cut out in most of the rooms. The floor in Martha's room was brand new and a brand new paint job. So, silver lining number one, is the place we are staying. The apt itself lack amenities but I can deal with it. It is a one bedroom with fold out twin beds in the living room. Martha has been such a trooper. The second silver lining is that I will have all new floors except for the kitchen and the bathrooms. I will also have all new paint.
This disrupted my goal of organizing my studio and doing art during my winter break. Spent the first week of my break packing, moving and making a zillion trips back and forth to my house.
So, here I sit on Christmas day all alone with my cats. I didn't have time to give Christmas a thought. I am actually enjoying the peace and quiet.
So that's where I've been for the last 2 weeks. I go back to school Jan 4th so I must get some real vacation in here somehow and do art.
Merry Christmas :xmaswav:
CHF, Cardiomyopathy and LBBB
EF 20%
St. Jude Bi Vent ICD CRT implanted September 9, 2011
7 shock storm inappropriate due to dislodged lead
damaged lead removed and replaced Sept 26, 2011
EF improved to 50% in December 2012
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

TruckerRon

Re: OT Broken pipes

Post by TruckerRon » December 27th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Well, you've made me doubly grateful to have had a relatively quiet, normal Christmas! I hope you're safely home on schedule!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » January 7th, 2013, 10:56 pm

So, I'm still out of my house. Was told they would be done by this Friday. Now they are pushing it forward again.
I want to go home, boo hoo. moodbad I've got my Merlin but there isn't an active land line here. I called the owner today and asked to get one hooked up. I'd like to have the monitor working.
EF 20%
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 8th, 2013, 10:17 am

Sorry to hear about your Holiday adventure. I know it can be frustrating waiting for everything to come together, but at least you have some great insurance.

When my plumbing broke, they threw my behind in a training hospital, where nobody had any experience repairing plumbing damage. Mickey moused some used pipes around the damaged area leaving the broken pipes in place, and threw the old cover back on with some super glue leaving an ugly scar on my chest wall. Not to mention they didn't bother to realign the walls. What should have taken a week took 5, and they wouldn't even take my kids, much less the cats, and my deductable ...well lets not go there. So see, sometimes things aren't as grim as you think, you're actually lucky
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » January 8th, 2013, 8:08 pm

That is disappointing Mary Kay, to think you were going to be home on Friday. It must be hard to have to be patient, but keep thinking of the renovations, that your place will be better than before!!
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » January 9th, 2013, 11:58 pm

I am lucky. My brains have gone frizzy, however. :runaway: Now it has been moved to Monday. Stopped by tonight and they finally started the floors. I had no idea I had such good insurance. I got a check today for $2500.00 for furniture repairs to furniture that wasn't even near the water but they didn't declare the bathroom cabinet destroyed and it had all the water. I didn't know they were repairing anything. I am going to be very curious to see what they fixed. I'm anxious for the ending to this story. Who's paying what to whom for what?
EF 20%
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x