laptops and notebooks

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

bekki

laptops and notebooks

Post by bekki » December 26th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Hi everyone. hope all had a mavelous Christmas. Christmas day we were al sitting around wih the grandkids and everyone was on a notebook or laptop. I was playing with one of the notebooks and had it sitting on my lap. after a new minutes i started feeling funny, kind of lightheaded and felt like a really slow heart rate. i put the notebook up and rested for a few minutes. later i got back on the notebook and felt the same way again. i suddenly thought maybe the the emf was high in the notebook or something. i looked online and sure enough the emf is quite high in laptops and notebooks and should not be used in the lap. I use a pc all day at work and have no problem. has anyone else had this problem? wondering if it could set "sparky" off or cause damage? it was quite disappointing as i was going to get myself a notebook so i could sit on the couch and surf on the computer. i hope to discuss this with my "electircian" at my next appointment. any ideas?

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: laptops and notebooks

Post by mrag » December 26th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I'm sure there is a more tactful way of saying this, but I think you are being paranoid. Let me add, this is not an unheard thing among us bionic types. Laptops, ipads, cell phones, etc likely are no cause for alarm beyond just worrying that they might be. If you want to feel a bit better on this one, try a forum search on "personal vibrators" which had a huge amount of interest-never could understand why.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 26th, 2012, 4:45 pm

I see there is health issues by using a laptop on your lap but I could not find any emf issues with the ICD. Not saying there is not but if someone finds information please let us know.

http://www.emfs.info/The+Science/highfields/Pacemakers/
Notes about High power items

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ptops.aspx
Notes about other health issues from using laptops, nothing about ICD issues

http://www.cardiosmart.org/HeartDisease/CTT.aspx?id=220
Notes on what an ICD is and some things to stay away from.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

bekki

Post by bekki » December 26th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Oh rest assured i am not paranoid, use pc, cells, etc all the time and live a most normal life amd have never had anything so far give me cause for concern. just going my my docs advice not to be around emf as it could damage the icd. found many articles on the internet about the high levels of emf on the laptops and notebooks and not to use on your lapfor long periods of time even if you dont have an icd. so i was wondering if anyone had a similiar experience. i was advised by the doc also no to use electric back massagers that were used when i went to the chiropractor and also the massage chair at the beauty salon. so maybe my doc is the paradoid one, huh? giggle!!! i have a biotronix, dont see many of that type here, anyone else have this brand?

Leah

Post by Leah » December 26th, 2012, 5:48 pm

I have never heard of this and have no problems with using my laptop as well.
Leah

garya

Post by garya » December 26th, 2012, 6:35 pm

i have a biotronix, dont see many of that type here
They are a German company best known at this time I believe for having an ICD explode although I have never looked through the actual details. I myself prefer the Boston Scientific who may be best known for lying to their users about the safety of their devices, but I think that was pre merger or pre sale. Then either might be better than the group that sold faulty leads that may or may not work and if they do may or may not cause inappropriate shocks, but the law probably does not like me referencing anything to do with Danny Thomas. In short, while you may be in severe congestive heart failure, it may be wise to check for immediate news regarding your device manufacturer and what they are up to.

Right now, I would tell any EP that I would only accept a Medtronic device. Let me add, I am not the Flying Camel guy and I have never met him.

Again, my own semi informed opinion-there is NOTHING short of electric welding equipment and or laying over your running car engine's alternator that would adversely affect your device. EMF's are likely the least of your malfunction worries.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 26th, 2012, 8:56 pm

You felt what you felt...trust your instincts.

You could still buy a notebook, just put it on a tray/table, not directly on your lap.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 27th, 2012, 3:26 am

My daughter has an Apple Mac IPad and Laptop Computer. With both of these devices she can attach metal things to the covers. They are magnetic, and you will notice that the power cord does not push in, but is held there by a magnetic force. So therefore what you experienced could possibly be the magnetic current from the machine itself, especially if it is an Apple product.

As for the other devices that affect our devices, I was at a checkout at a local supermarket and came over very light headed, and felt quite weird. I asked the girl where the security monitors were, as they were not obvious, and yes, they were under the counter right where I was leaning. The only indication of anything being there was a red light. Now if this is my imagination, then why did I ask where they were, as the feeling I got was similar to the feeling I get from the obvious ones. To say that we 'imagine' or are paranoid about these things is offensive, they do happen and if you have never experienced it yourself, then try and stand beside a shopping centre security device and find out for yourself. If you don't get a reaction, then good for you, but some of us do.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

bekki

Post by bekki » December 27th, 2012, 7:52 am

thanks so much ozchrissy for your observation....that is exactly how i felt, light headed and "wierd" and yes i think paranoid is offensive as each person is different and things effect our own devices differently. i have never even had a remote thought about things that effect my device, dont live a different life than i did before "sparky", never had a sympton or complaint before, although i am careful about things my doc has told me. :) I am so glad you understand.

and yes Suzanne I am going to buy a notebook anyway, cant hardly live in this time without one, huh? I will just keep it at arms lenght, that is the only way I can see it anyway :)

thanks for all the input everyone, have a great day!!

gijss

Post by gijss » December 27th, 2012, 8:11 am

Bekki, I recognise the problem. I have it sometimes and it is coming from my neck. Sitting more upright helps. Emt can not be the problem unless the laptop is really broken and even then when it is put up you ICD (which makes typing and reading quite difficult).
My name is Gijs but in English you can call me Gilbert as this might be easier te remember :-)

SCA Nov 13, 2004, shocked Sep 2 (2x) & 5 2005, Dec 31 2005, May 20 2006, Dec 29 2008, Oct 31 2009 and April 6 2010 (3x). 'Repaired' by epicardial ablation April 16th, 2010.
First ICD Guidant Vitallity, second (May 16, 2012) Boston Scientific Energen ICD

AlexK

Post by AlexK » December 28th, 2012, 6:57 pm

I'd believe it, and it might well be one of those things you can't duplicate, that it had to do with the other laptops and wireless and broadcasting on the network and yadda yadda yadda.

This is our way, we have to show care around electronics, and once in a while the electronics remind us why.

It's been a few days, I'd try it again. It might be some quality of that particular laptop, for that matter.
August 1, 2007, died; CPR restored
August 3, 2007 implant Medtronic Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Coreg and Atacand daily
"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

4EverHopeful

Post by 4EverHopeful » December 29th, 2012, 2:39 pm

I upgraded in the last few months from an old anchor of a cell phone (had 8 years) to a smartphone. This phone had an option of buying a magnetic type charger where you just stick the phone on it and don't have to plug it in to charge. I was going to order it when in researching it I found that it did emit EMF. Also I would have put the charger on my nightstand between me and my Merlin when sleeping. So I decided against purchasing the wireless charger, and have just been plugging it in the old fashion way to be safe. Whatever you are comfortable with is what you should do:)
Phyllis

God's prescription for the heart:
O LORD, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit
down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me
and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment You know where I am.
Psalm 139:1-3

Non-ischemic DCM 09/11
PVCs, LBBB, leaky mitral valve
St Judes CRT-D (Bubba) 02/12; (Bubba II) 09/17
EF 20% 09/11; 25% 07/12; 35% 02/16
Failed PVC Ablation 11/12
Coreg, Zestril, Asprin, Aldactone, Lasix, Zocor, Levothroid
viewtopic.php?p=87649#p87649

Carl Portman

Post by Carl Portman » December 30th, 2012, 5:12 am

Actually, this reply may seem a little strange to those that know me on this site. I am unable to provide any medical proof of this but as Suzanne succinctly says we know our own feelings. I do get ectopic runs, and sometimes frankly they are quite horrible. It really could be just in my mind but sometimes when I am on my laptop or notebook for some time (over an hour) and it is 'near' to my ICD I suddenly get bad runs. I move away from the laptop and it subsides. On a couple of occasions recently I have gone straight back to the laptop and the run picked up again and stopped when I moved away.

Yes, it may be a huge coincidence; but it may not.

I listen to doctors, but I listen to myself also. I am not 100% sure either way about the affect if any my laptop/notebook has on my ICD. I would not be surprised if it had no effect, but I would not be surprised if it did have an effect. I have an open mind on this.

I shall monitor the situation and log what occurs I think.

Carl
Right Ventricular Dysplasia
St. Jude ICD implanted 28 September 2009
Ablation on 5th January 2011
Ablation on 26 October 2011
Sotalol and Mexilitine tablets
St Jude generator replacement on 02 January 2014