A tough December...and January

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

JR1966

A tough December...and January

Post by JR1966 » December 27th, 2012, 4:12 am

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a happy xmas and happy birthday to the ones I've missed.

This is a short post to explain my absence over the past five weeks.

In Sept my ICD battery was spent so I needed a new ICD. This was done and almost immediately started to experience what they call the rigors. Uncontrollable chills followed by fierce sweats leaving you dehydrated and feeling awful. This went on ( despite unsuccessful investigation) until Nov 25th when I fainted with what has turned out to be a staph infection. This infection has attached itself to my ICD and lead as well as my old lead which was left in. I have been in hospital ever since and was released today on a program called "Hospital in the Home". Basically, I'm still an inpatient having daily visits from my medical team and am hooked up to a portable pump 24/7 which delivers antibiotics to me through a pic line in my arm.

On Jan 18th my infected ICD along with the old lead will be removed followed by three more weeks of antibiotics without an ICD. If I am clean after that I guess we try another ICD and hope it doesn't become infected.

Take care all. :xmaswav:

Ozchrissy

Re: A tough December...and January

Post by Ozchrissy » December 27th, 2012, 5:25 am

Oh John, what a nightmare, I am glad you are being looked after. Where was your ICD put in, who is doing the surgery to take out the leads and device, and I do hope it all clears up. What a mess, you must be pretty worried. Is it the full cut ribs removal of the leads, or have they found a new way to get them out. At least they have let you out of hospital with a picc line, so you can have a bit of a normal life while you wait. Is it the bottle that has a balloon in it that slowly dispenses the drugs, or do you have to cart a drip around with you. I had the bottle with my chemo drugs and you do get used to it.

I do hope you are coping ok, it dosn't seem fair that these things are happening to you.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

xislandman2004

Post by xislandman2004 » December 27th, 2012, 7:17 am

Good God... what a hell of a mess. Hang in there. Folks do not realize that infection can be so evil...
--dennis

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - Heart failure
First ICD Medtronic 5/16/08
Pulmonary Vein Ablation 9/1/10
Second ICD Medtronic 5/8/12
AV Node ablation 12/23/13
Medtronic Viva CRT-D 4/14/14
Mitral valve replacement 7/14/15
plural and pericardia fluids (2.5 liters) drained 2/16

Coreg 12.5mg x 3

Coumadin 4.0 mg qd
Lasix 40mg x 2
Potassium 10 megs per 20 mg Lasix

Then the lie passed into history and became truth. - George Orwell 1984

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 27th, 2012, 8:48 am

John I do pray that they can get you back on the road to better times. When those infections hit it seems like forever to get them out of your system.

Just take it easy and don't panic.
wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 27th, 2012, 9:57 am

oh angel im so so sorry...my heart bleeds for you...ive had a staph infection too since my change over in october, and they tried to remove the infection hopefully before it went thro to the leads....they didnt remove it but i was on so many antibiotics i was totally useless...and up until the week before christmas it was touch and go as to if the icd would have to come out again..its a horrid horrid infection and sneaky toboot...ended up the zapping with antibiotics killed mine..but triggered off the autoimmune disease i have again...ugh....took altogether 2 full months of double doses of antibiotics....dont panic though there will be a day the disease just just gives up and you'll start to feel well again....i told my ep next issue with the icd hes operating in my house....less chance of catching something...

all the best..im so happy your home though..you must feel a lot better mentally not being jammed in hospital.....xoxoox
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Mar

Post by Mar » December 27th, 2012, 11:00 am

That sure is a lot to have to cope with. Hoping that things get better for you soon.
Mary Ann (Mar)
Biotronic Lumax 540 DR-T implant May 2010
Open heart surgery Jan 2010
ICD implanted May 2010
1 shock in 2011
3 in 2013
current EF 10 to 15%
A Fib
Medications: I lost track

Eric

Post by Eric » December 27th, 2012, 12:41 pm

John,

Thank you for updating us. I am incredibly sorrowed by the fact that you have had to deal with all of the issues you are facing. I will be sending my positive thoughts your way. I am truly hoping that you have a great recovery and come out the other side much better than before.
Take care my friend.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

kristinzzz

Post by kristinzzz » December 27th, 2012, 1:42 pm

John,

I too, am so sorry to hear this. That is so much to deal with. I'm sending good wishes that everything clears itself and
you'll be able to move on. :hugg:

Kristin
ICD Medtronic Implanted October 2005
2nd ICD Medtronic Protecta Implanted June 2012 (Fidelis Lead removed/fractured)
3rd ICD ST JUDE implanted in April 2018
10 Shock Storm/ Feb. 2008
Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy

Marie

Post by Marie » December 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm

:hugg:

Get well soon hon.

Marie x
Medtronic Maximo 11 DR implanted 24th Nov 09

Non Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia.

Ann Marie

Post by Ann Marie » December 27th, 2012, 3:51 pm

John, I am so sorry to hear your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope this resolves quickly for you. Rest and do what the medical team tells you. :hugg:
If you follow all the rules, you miss all the fun[background=][/background]

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » December 27th, 2012, 6:33 pm

I know you don't put much stock in prayers, but you'll have to put up with mine anyway! Get well, friend!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

smc0827

Post by smc0827 » December 27th, 2012, 8:00 pm

So sorry, John. I had my new ICD and leads removed due to infection also in July. Not fun at all and seems a waste of new equipment, doesn't it?! Hope you are on the mend soon. Sue. :hugg:
Sue B / MN ~ Family history of various cardiac arrhythmias & SCA. Gene mutation of SCN5A gene.
ICD #1 - Metronic Secura, June 2005 with follow-up ablation in July 2005 for AVNRT. Shock storm April 2008.
ICD #2-Medtronic Virtuoso DR w/lead revision (Sprint lead), June 2009.
ICD #3 Medtronic Protecta DR w/lead revision, June 18, 2012. ICD & lead explant due to allergic reaction & infection on July 10, 2012. Opting not to re-implant at this time.
"Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Hate less, love more; And all good things are yours." ~ Swedish Proverb

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 27th, 2012, 8:09 pm

What a wimp faux Republican act trying to drum up sympathy for some minor little cut or scrape. Get a grip Mate and toughen up. You know all this was easily preventable with a simple daily bottle of J Beam yet you chose to ignore the warning signs. Serves you right!

(I wonder how many will realize this was all said tongue in cheek with sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery to your normal, obnoxious self?)...Al
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » December 28th, 2012, 3:50 am

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. I have no info at this stage on how the removal works. Just thought I would wait till after the new year then worry about that. They tell me the new ICD will have to be on my right side.

Actually Al, my Jim Beam health theory let me down on this one. :wink:

smc0827

Post by smc0827 » December 28th, 2012, 6:54 am

John,
They will remove the ICD and leads, and then pack the wound where the ICD was. I saw a wound care team in the hospital and was ok changing the packing and dressing myself - or most people have someone do it for them...a spouse or a visiting nurse, or going to a wound clinic each day. The wound has to heal from the inside out, so you use less and less packing material as it heals. It actually heals up fairly well, but just takes time. I was able to go home with oral antibiotics. Then they will do the whole ICD procedure again on the other side because there would be too much scar tissue after it has healed where it was before - and I think to lessen the re-infection risk. Sue
Sue B / MN ~ Family history of various cardiac arrhythmias & SCA. Gene mutation of SCN5A gene.
ICD #1 - Metronic Secura, June 2005 with follow-up ablation in July 2005 for AVNRT. Shock storm April 2008.
ICD #2-Medtronic Virtuoso DR w/lead revision (Sprint lead), June 2009.
ICD #3 Medtronic Protecta DR w/lead revision, June 18, 2012. ICD & lead explant due to allergic reaction & infection on July 10, 2012. Opting not to re-implant at this time.
"Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Hate less, love more; And all good things are yours." ~ Swedish Proverb