I'm now certified for home Coumadin (warfarin) testing

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

I'm now certified for home Coumadin (warfarin) testing

Post by mrag » December 27th, 2012, 4:49 pm

After a strenuous and rigorous 48 minute class, I have now received my certificate to puncture my own skin and report my 'PT-INR' levels to some company for the maintenance of my proper blood coagulation levels. I've been armed with my own leather bag containing a battery powered blood monitor, test strips and medieval devices with which to prick various and sundry parts of my body. This looks like so much fun! If you want to know more, you will have to inquire. This is kind of a secret and select group allowed to do this sort of neat medical testing stuff.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Eric

Re: I'm now certified for home Coumadin (warfarin) testing

Post by Eric » December 27th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Al,

Am I considered one of the select group since I have to torture myself every day with needles and blood letting due to my diabetes? It sounds like fun to be a member of a super secret super group!

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 27th, 2012, 11:43 pm

Great news, it will be so much easier for you now. Hopefully everyone can get to do it soon, like with diabetes.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

xislandman2004

Post by xislandman2004 » December 28th, 2012, 7:21 am

I have been doing this for almost a year now. I test every two weeks. The site keeps a record (graph) so it is good to see the trend. If any adjustment is needed I get a call from my doc's office...
--dennis

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - Heart failure
First ICD Medtronic 5/16/08
Pulmonary Vein Ablation 9/1/10
Second ICD Medtronic 5/8/12
AV Node ablation 12/23/13
Medtronic Viva CRT-D 4/14/14
Mitral valve replacement 7/14/15
plural and pericardia fluids (2.5 liters) drained 2/16

Coreg 12.5mg x 3

Coumadin 4.0 mg qd
Lasix 40mg x 2
Potassium 10 megs per 20 mg Lasix

Then the lie passed into history and became truth. - George Orwell 1984

mrag

Post by mrag » December 28th, 2012, 9:50 am

The doctor has "prescribed" that I self puncture 2 - 4 times per month (weekly for now then hopefully twice per month). I was on a monthly schedule with the clinic so hopefully we'll get to that rate soon enough. Preferably test M, T, W, or Th (noonish) each week to leave time to call me or whoever by Friday before everyone is golfing on the weekend if there is some problem.

The instructor told me to use the tip (preferably side) of a finger so you can squeeze the blood down the finger and wash the hand in WARM water before stabbing-both help blood flow. What I have not mastered yet is putting a band aid on my finger afterwards. A friend who is a diabetic and tests daily recommends the inside of the thumb for puncturing.

So far it seems simple enough, but give me time, it's still early.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 28th, 2012, 9:57 am

mrag wrote: What I have not mastered yet is putting a band aid on my finger afterwards.
Really Al? :roll:
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

mrag

Post by mrag » December 28th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Yes really. This is trickier than it might seem as you have to do it with ONE hand. Remember the other one is dripping blood. So try itself. Get a piece of gauze, place over tip of bleeding finger. Not get band-aid from box, peel off the non sticky pieces, put on top of gauze. . . . This requires quite a bit of dexterity I suspect. You shouldn't misjudge the difficulty ;-)

xislandman2004

Post by xislandman2004 » December 28th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Get the band-aid ready first.... hang it on the table edge and your ready to go. I just hold the alcohol gauze on the needle prick for a minute and that's the end of it.
--dennis

Coreg 12.5mg x 3

Coumadin 4.0 mg qd
Lasix 40mg x 2

mrag

Post by mrag » December 28th, 2012, 4:33 pm

"alcohol gauze?" No one mentioned anything like that to me. I only got wash hands in warm water. Do you mean dip the lancet into my Jim Beam before? I've never been very good at figuring out when to put the prick in.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » December 28th, 2012, 5:32 pm

There's a reason some of us use the term "lancet" to avoid sentences like that last one.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

xislandman2004

Post by xislandman2004 » December 28th, 2012, 6:32 pm

As part of the supplies needed through CauguChek, I get small packaged alcohol gauze patches to sterilize my finger tip...
--dennis

Coreg 12.5mg x 3

Coumadin 4.0 mg qd
Lasix 40mg x 2

mrag

Post by mrag » December 30th, 2012, 1:48 am

My kit and supplies are through Alere Home Monitoring. I do not get alcohol gauze and just have to use my own soap and warm water. I have a choice between the "lancet" or a 'pen' device to open a hole in my body for the extraction of blood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eric

Post by Eric » December 30th, 2012, 10:05 am

Al,

I would definitely use the "Pen device" to procure blood from your body. First off, it is cooler to just press a pen and have a sharp needle come out and draw blood (Just think of it as a super secret spy device) and second off and more seriously, the pen just does not hurt as much and is over quicker. You will have to let us know how testing your blood at home goes. I just used my nice little "Pen" this morning before logging on, works wonderfully....
So glad that at this time I have not had to go down the Coumadin path. Did it back in 1997 when I had my first heart failure. Hated going in once a week to have my blood drawn while they were trying to dial in my dosage. Lasted for about three months, then they just gave up on the idea. Cannot remember why right now, but was so glad when they told me I could quit doing it.

Wishing you the best

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

mrag

Post by mrag » January 3rd, 2013, 12:45 pm

In the interest of having a complete topic that may help others.....

Well today was the day for my first at home alone by myself PT-INR blood test. It did not go as well as hoped. It however, did confirm what I had been thinking about for some time and that is, I really am incapable of working or learning anything new. I had received 47 minutes of training right after Christmas and thought I had a wall chart for steps I was to follow in testing. Couldn't find the chart, couldn't recall the training. But I still had a rough concept of the process.

I took out my kit, placed a band aid nearby (that part went well). I put a 'test strip' in the device and turned it on. Maybe I turned it on and then put in the strip. Whatever. I then took my pocket knife and slashed my arm for a blood sample. (Sorry Eric, thought the knife more 'manly') I put the dripping blood on the strip. I waited. It said 3.8. WTF! In 4 years I've been low (below 2) but never above 3. Not a good omen. I called the manufacturer (Roche). A pleasant sounding female(?) slowly and precisely walked me through another test. This time using a different appendage and a smaller knife, the unit read 3.9!!! Last week, I tested at 2.7 and 2.8. My EP says he wants between 2 and 3, which I think is kind of standard.

And as EVERYONE here knows (right?), it is relatively easy to LOWER your INR, but NOT increase it. I reported my results (via the internet). It reported back that I was "out of range." I am expecting a call. I am also expecting to have a big salad tonight. So much for home testing.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 3rd, 2013, 12:50 pm

"""After a strenuous and rigorous 48 minute class, I have now received my certificate to puncture my own skin and report my 'PT-INR' levels to some company for the maintenance of my proper blood coagulation levels. I've been armed with my own leather bag containing a battery powered blood monitor, test strips and medieval devices with which to prick various and sundry parts of my body. This looks like so much fun! If you want to know more, you will have to inquire. This is kind of a secret and select group allowed to do this sort of neat medical testing stuff.""""

One word reply.....BOASTER........ roflmao...congrats..
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!