I'm now certified for home Coumadin (warfarin) testing

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Eric

Re: I'm now certified for home Coumadin (warfarin) testing

Post by Eric » January 3rd, 2013, 1:14 pm

Al,

You are correct, the knife is more manly, but perhaps it is not the best advice. I hope you slashed somewhere besides your wrist, even though with this home testing thing you may eventually decide to slash in your wrist area.
What I woud advise is to take your device to your doctor, use the device there, have your doc check your INR with his machine and see if they match. I know I have had to calibrate my Blood Glucose meters and my Blood Pressure machines with my doctor's office so I can appropriately understand what the differences are (After all the doc's machines are always right *even if they are obviously out of whack).
By showing your machines reading to your doc, then he will understand what you are seeing and may suggest a change in tactics. About a year ago, I recieved a new Blood Glucose monitor for in home testing. I was told with this one, I could pinprick my arm and get a reading. I have been using my arm ever since, but recently my A1C jumped. I was shocked as my testing on my arm showed I had been in range for quite some time. So I asked the doc, does testing in my arm give me a different reading than testing on my finger. Guess what, it is, so now I alternate between finger and arm.
Hope you get it figured out.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271