I'm am scheduled to have an oblation procedure!!

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

MAS

I'm am scheduled to have an oblation procedure!!

Post by MAS » December 29th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Hi everyone. I recently contacted UCLA for a second opinion. Apparently they have a cardiac arrhythmia center there. I just found out I was approved for an ablation procedure which will take place in January 2013. My doctor runs the arrhythmia center there, so I assume he's competent. I am very excited. I have grand delusions that I will be fixed up 100%. I hope the doctor will lie to me and tell me just that! I most look forward to the mental improvement. I am Still working on overcoming shock anxiety. Getting better each day.

Today I was at Sam's Club with wife and kid. My anxiety kicked in. I was wandering a few aisles away from my wife and kid and suddenly imagined what if I got shocked multiple times again right then. My wife and kid wouldn't know because I was a few aisles away. Other customers would start gathering around wondering what was wrong with me. Crazy scenarios play out in my head. I hurry back to my wife and the anxiety fades... Somehow I worry more about causing a scene than getting shocked.

I was prescribed meds for anxiety but I don't take them. I am stubborn.

Suzanne

Re: I'm am scheduled to have an oblation procedure!!

Post by Suzanne » December 29th, 2012, 6:49 pm

I can so relate to your situation you had at Sams Club.

I too worried about being around other people if I were to be shocked...I didn't want anyone to see me be shocked. I remember once talking outside with neighbours, and then I would think what if I got shocked now, and I lied and said I had to go, but really it was because I feared being shocked in front of them. Another time, while at a friends, I had one strong PVC, thought about being shocked and left my friends house.

One night too, while watching fireworks with friends and other people, while standing on a small bridge, I suddenly thought what if I were to be shocked. I even thought where would I sit if I needed to, that the side railings on the bridge were metal, and people were too close to me, etc. I left the bridge and went to a place where I could stand with not so many people near me.

Another time, while standing in my driveway taking to a very close friend, I felt the sudden onset of lightheadedness and VT start. I immediately looked for a spot to sit down and my friend was about to put her hand on my shoulder and I yelled out "don't touch me". Thankfully ATP resolved my VT.

I guess I just never wanted anyone to see me be vulnerable. I understand the crazy scenarios that can play through your mind. Shock anxiety was definitely the toughest part for me too.

I hope and pray that your ablation is successful!!!
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Eric

Post by Eric » December 29th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Mike,

I can totally relate to what you have experienced. In the first six months after getting shocked I don't think a day went by where I had many episodes of having anxiety attacks. As time went by, they got less and less, but in September when I found out it had been confirmed I had been having V-tach, I started having anxiety attacks again. I went and saw a therapist and she gave me some great tools to help me deal with many of those times where I might have an anxiety attack and she helped me realize that I had tools that I could use to help me calm down. Also, I do take the medication when I need too. I had to travel to Japan for work in October and all I could think about was I would be on a plane over the middle of the Pacific ocean and my device would start going off. She advised me to take my magnet, once I got on the plane to take some Xanax, put on my headphones once allowed and sit back and relax. Just realizing and seeing the situation for what it was helped me be calm on the flight and I was able to make the flight with no anxiety attack at all on the trip over and back.
I am so happy you got a second opinion and that you are scheduled for an ablation. I am hoping that the ablation will be a success and that will help put your mind at ease. I am also curious if you looked up the person I mentioned to you in L.A. Let me know would you?

Wishing you well.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 30th, 2012, 1:29 am

Three great descriptions for the anxiety that goes along with an ICD. Not to be unsympathetic, but when I hear someone say they "worry" about their pacemaker working, I just about laugh out loud-they have no clue what an ICD can do to your head.

Ablations should only be done by the very best and most experienced EPs that specialize in ablations!

When I had my ablation, my EP said "it usually takes year to feel comfortable again." He meant get over the anxiety. It has been two years for me and we still have a ways to go on the comfort level, but it is better.
I was prescribed meds for anxiety but I don't take them. I am stubborn.
I might use another 'stu' word than 'stubborn' Think "better living through chemistry" ;-)

(suggestion; try taking half the dose and see if it helps)
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » December 30th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Please do not think I have all the answers and am suggesting everyone should think like me. We are all different.

Here is how I keep my sanity.

A shock from my ICD means I cheated death again. HA ha death, you missed again. I've got more living to do and that shock reminds me that without the technology available in my chest I would be dead.

We are so lucky to live in a time when this is possible. I have been alive and living well for five years since my first save from V-fib. I am not afraid of shocks, I welcome them. They are my big spectacular dramatic friend that is there when I need a friend the most. I don't care when or where they happen, I don't really care who gets to watch, I just want it to save my butt. I've still got things to do.

You might not want to try this at home, but it works for me.

The resident ICD support group weirdo,
Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 30th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Yes we we are all different, with how we handle things.

BUT, I believe receiving one shock is FAR less traumatizing than receiving numerous shocks in a short period of time.
~ Suzanne ~

Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » December 30th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Suzanne

You are right. If I go through a storm I'll reevaluate my position.

Since I have a Fidelis lead that was recalled 6 years ago its a real possibility that I will eventually get hit with a storm but I don't worry about that either. Probably because I'm not to bright huhhh

There is an internal dialog that we continually have with ourselves. I am talking about that continuing conversation going on between our ears no one else hears. I heard somewhere that we don't react to what happens to us, we react to what we say happens to us. That internal dialog with ourselves determines our response to adversity. Do we have a calm inner voice or do we think with our hair on fire.

Two people can be standing side by side seeing and witnessing the same event. One is apprehensive and scared, the other calm and taking it in. The external energy is the same, the internal energy, that conversation that is going on in the brains of each is the difference and really determines how each reacts. It is either self inflicted tension or calm, we each make that choice.

My training as a crane operator interestingly enough helped me with this. When a critical lift is being performed the crane operator better be a guy that does not get excited. The people working around the big stuff want to look up and see slow, steady, self confidence, calm and focused. I don't operate any longer but I do try to use those things in my new life. It really is easier to be calm than excited. Maybe I do it because I'm lazy and don't want to spend that much extra energy :roll:

Peace be with ya'll
Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 31st, 2012, 9:44 am

notvaporlocked wrote:Suzanne

You are right. If I go through a storm I'll reevaluate my position.

Since I have a Fidelis lead that was recalled 6 years ago its a real possibility that I will eventually get hit with a storm but I don't worry about that either. Probably because I'm not to bright huhhh

There is an internal dialog that we continually have with ourselves. I am talking about that continuing conversation going on between our ears no one else hears. I heard somewhere that we don't react to what happens to us, we react to what we say happens to us. That internal dialog with ourselves determines our response to adversity. Do we have a calm inner voice or do we think with our hair on fire.

Two people can be standing side by side seeing and witnessing the same event. One is apprehensive and scared, the other calm and taking it in. The external energy is the same, the internal energy, that conversation that is going on in the brains of each is the difference and really determines how each reacts. It is either self inflicted tension or calm, we each make that choice.

My training as a crane operator interestingly enough helped me with this. When a critical lift is being performed the crane operator better be a guy that does not get excited. The people working around the big stuff want to look up and see slow, steady, self confidence, calm and focused. I don't operate any longer but I do try to use those things in my new life. It really is easier to be calm than excited. Maybe I do it because I'm lazy and don't want to spend that much extra energy :roll:

Peace be with ya'll
Terry
I understand what you're saying Terry about the internal dialog we have within ourselves.

If I operated a crane, I believe I would remain calm and steady, because I am in control of the crane.
For me, my whole fear of my ICD was because I did not have control...I couldn't handle the not knowing when or where it might deliver therapy to me again.

The first time I received therapy was 4 weeks after implant, and I was shocked 8 times in a few minutes. I was not educated at the time, meaning I did not know that I even could be shocked numerous times in such a short period. I also had a lot go wrong and lost trust and confidence with the EPs who were dealing with me at the time.

I'm just trying to say that to remain calm is the better way to handle things, for sure, but for some, depending on the circumstances, it's not so easy to do.
~ Suzanne ~

4EverHopeful

Post by 4EverHopeful » December 31st, 2012, 1:53 pm

Suzanne wrote:
If I operated a crane, I believe I would remain calm and steady, because I am in control of the crane.
For me, my whole fear of my ICD was because I did not have control...I couldn't handle the not knowing when or where it might deliver therapy to me again.

The first time I received therapy was 4 weeks after implant, and I was shocked 8 times in a few minutes. I was not educated at the time, meaning I did not know that I even could be shocked numerous times in such a short period. I also had a lot go wrong and lost trust and confidence with the EPs who were dealing with me at the time.
That is why I am so thankful for people like you Suzanne, and Eric, and the rest of you who share their experiences so the rest of us can be educated. Even if we are not in control of our shock or shock storm, at least we know what to expect and what will stop it if needed and especially if it's an unappropriate shock. If appropriate, then by all means I want that shock, and hopefully have the assurance that all is working correctly saving my life!! I'll deal with the mental fallout later....one thing at a time:)
Phyllis

God's prescription for the heart:
O LORD, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit
down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me
and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment You know where I am.
Psalm 139:1-3

Non-ischemic DCM 09/11
PVCs, LBBB, leaky mitral valve
St Judes CRT-D (Bubba) 02/12; (Bubba II) 09/17
EF 20% 09/11; 25% 07/12; 35% 02/16
Failed PVC Ablation 11/12
Coreg, Zestril, Asprin, Aldactone, Lasix, Zocor, Levothroid
viewtopic.php?p=87649#p87649

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » January 1st, 2013, 3:41 pm

After my inappropriate shock storm of 7 in about as many minutes I was a little freaked out, make that terrified. I did worry about getting shocked in front of my students. I take Xanax and I agree with mrag. I take mine only at night. Needing a little help from chemistry doesn't make you weak.
CHF, Cardiomyopathy and LBBB
EF 20%
St. Jude Bi Vent ICD CRT implanted September 9, 2011
7 shock storm inappropriate due to dislodged lead
damaged lead removed and replaced Sept 26, 2011
EF improved to 50% in December 2012
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » January 1st, 2013, 4:54 pm

I took sublingual ativan when needed, which was usually at night. For some reason, all my VT episodes were between 7:30 pm and 7:30 am, so I used to dread when evening came.

You won't have to take it forever, and it does help somewhat to calm your mind.

My shocks were all appropriate. However, my current EP thinks that 7 of my 8 shocks (during my shock storm) were most probably adrenaline induced VT. Maybe they were, maybe not. So, if you can, it's a good idea to try to keep yourself calm when you receive therapy, because it could mean you might not receive more shocks. Even for those cases where an incompetent EP did not program your ICD accordingly for you, and you receive a shock during exertion, being able to calm yourself down immediately after a shock, could prevent more shocks.
~ Suzanne ~