Heart Disease For Dummies …or… Miracles can be fun

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Mark

Re: Heart Disease For Dummies …or… Miracles can be fun

Post by Mark » October 31st, 2012, 10:53 am

Robo,

I now know why I gave up drugs..... stories like that! Great job! :)

wen

Post by wen » October 31st, 2012, 10:14 pm

Wow Robo, that's all I can say. I just read the whole thread all in one sitting. . . quite a tale and definitely a whole bunch of miracles. worshippy for your writing skills, maintaining your sense of humor and your amazing ability to survive the torture of your ordeal. Again, Wow!!

Glad you are here to tell your tale. My husband says your doc should have put in your ICD for free when they failed to install it during your first surgery.

So, I'm curious. Which doc is now your regular cardio doctor?

Wendy
Left Bundle Branch Block
Non-ischemic Cardiomyopathy
V-Tach
ICD-Boston Scientific Teligen (2-lead) installed 7-7-09

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » November 1st, 2012, 11:11 am

Wendy ~
wen wrote:So, I'm curious. Which doc is now your regular cardio doctor?
The medical team I wound up with, during the infamous incident, were purely due to luck of the draw. They were selected based upon which was furthest in debt from the previous Christmas Holiday, but I couldn't have asked for better. Further there were many students who participated actively as well and deserve much credit. I am greatful to each one for their participation in my resurrection from the dead.

They are each expert in emergency care of heart patients, however long term treatment for chronic illness requires a different mindset and approach. When I finally recognized this, I sat down and identified my goals and objectives for treatment, then created a list of key questions to help in identifying the best Cardiologist for me. Interestingly, it can be boiled down to three words, quality of life. Researched Cardiologists in my area and set up interviews with several to begin the selection process.

The Cardiologist I selected demonstrated everything I was interested in and made the rest pale by comparison. Not only did he spend 45 uninterrupted minutes interacting with me, he had his team participate as well. I was fortunate to find a Doctor whose philosophy matched my own, but more importantly they laughed at my humor. Of course it didn't hurt that his Nurse Practitioners are stunningly beautiful.

As a side note, Nurse Practitioners in Arizona are just doctors without the luxury Mercedes Benz.

I’ve been with the medical team for four years now. There have been little bumps in the road, to be sure, like many of you, I'm not a puppy who obeys commands, but they still laugh so what more could I ask? Over time, I’ve learned more and more about my team and find that they exceed my expectations and my respect has grown. I even discovered that my Cardiologist is a heart patient himself. He really can understand and empathize with his patients.

It was hard to change my medical team, after what I’d gone through, as I have so much respect for that emergency team. However, it was absolutely the right decision for me. I still have bad days, and don’t really look much better, but I’m no longer one of the walking dead. I am alive so I can annoy the members of ICD Support Group
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

madison

Post by madison » November 1st, 2012, 11:28 am

..... sat down and identified my goals and objectives for treatment, then created a list of key questions to help in identifying the best Cardiologist for me.
I would be very interested in what the questions were. Some I can guess, but it would also be nice to know how the questions might be worded. This is open, not restricted to Mr. Robo.
At first I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger and bigger .......... And then it hit me!

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » November 1st, 2012, 1:42 pm

madison wrote:
..... sat down and identified my goals and objectives for treatment, then created a list of key questions to help in identifying the best Cardiologist for me.
I would be very interested in what the questions were. Some I can guess, but it would also be nice to know how the questions might be worded. This is open, not restricted to Mr. Robo.
Madison ~ I think that's a great idea, but perhaps you should start a new thread specifically for that topic. I think you'll get better participation by starting a new thread.
Broken Heart

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 10th, 2013, 6:36 pm

It all makes sense now.

A bit long though safetocomeout

madison

Post by madison » December 10th, 2013, 6:55 pm

It all makes sense now.
Colin, good to know your space ship has landed :-)
At first I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger and bigger .......... And then it hit me!

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » December 10th, 2013, 11:29 pm

You see Robo I am physic. I was just thinking that I wish I could remember the title of your story because I never finished reading it. I don't remember my excuse, that was over a year ago. How time flies. .
CHF, Cardiomyopathy and LBBB
EF 20%
St. Jude Bi Vent ICD CRT implanted September 9, 2011
7 shock storm inappropriate due to dislodged lead
damaged lead removed and replaced Sept 26, 2011
EF improved to 50% in December 2012
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

uksteve
Hunk

Post by uksteve » December 13th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Well Done Robo a great account of what you went through, the way only you could write it !!

Steve

ps A bit freaked out seeing a response from our Mark :?
They say lightning does'nt strike twice...."They" dont have an ICD!!! -Steve G

I believe in re-incarnation , my headstone wont say RIP instead it will say BRB

"The mind is like a parachute, it only only works when it is open"- Frank Zappa (In Memory of Mark)

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 13th, 2013, 8:11 pm

uksteve wrote:Well Done Robo a great account of what you went through, the way only you could write it !!

Steve

ps A bit freaked out seeing a response from our Mark :?
Thanks Steve, the post is a bit old, but I'm delighted people still get something out of it.

It's hard when I open this page and there's Mark as we remember him. Great guy and quick wit, he's missed.
Broken Heart

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » December 14th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Mark's spirit lives here. His posts are timeless and keeps him in our thoughts. What a legacy!

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » October 1st, 2015, 1:08 pm

How the feck did i miss this???????????? WOW!
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » May 19th, 2016, 9:28 am

ROBO Pop, I just came across this post and started reading (and kept reading all the way to the end). Thank you for sharing your story. Beautifully written. It does remind us we have to take control of our future and quality of life. And no matter how bad we think we've got it, there is someone out there dealing with worse. You are an inspiration!
Joanne (aka Jo)