AV node ablation

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Ozchrissy

Re: AV node ablation

Post by Ozchrissy » December 28th, 2013, 6:18 pm

My dear Al, you would have to have complete faith in your EP/Surgeon, when you think about the fact that they are destroying part of your heart, a vital part also, and that you would be dependent on a device for the rest of your life, you would really have to do your homework first.

But look what happens when you do take that leap of faith, Denis is a prime example of putting our trust in our medical teams and trusting that they know what they are doing. Denis did do his homework though and it also takes a lot of guts to do it, but we only live once and our quality of life is sometimes the most important consideration.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 29th, 2013, 12:49 am

xislandman2004 wrote: I had a great night sleep and woke this morning to a BP of 106/68 and HR of 72. It was if I were dancing on a cloud. My coffee tasted like honey and the air like perfume... I have truly been given a new life and whatever risk is involved, it is well worth it. First day of the rest of my life my friends....
I'm SO happy for you Dennis!! dancee
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

xislandman2004

Post by xislandman2004 » December 29th, 2013, 5:40 am

Al... in reality the destruction (ablating) of the AV node is quite simple. It another thing to go after Afib in the atrium and pulmonary veins or VT in the ventricles. But yes you are right.... you want the best that is available in your part of the country, etc. Dr. Acevedo of Monroe Heart Center and the EP lab is as good as I could expect anywhere. He has amazing experience being under forty years of age and made his bones in a top state practice near Miami. This facility was build by the center from the ground up and Dr. Acevedo was hired after an extensive search to supervise the opening and organize the staff and procedures. I was quite fortunate to have been one of his earliest patients and I have complete confidence in him and would without hesitation recommend anyone to do the same.

It was a major decision to be sure and one that we talked about several times over the past year, trying different and new medications before I decided enough was enough. I will no longer fear booking a flight or traveling any distance from my home, etc. As I said, this does not cure Afib or even intermittent SVT but I no longer feel it and the pathway that the tachycardia that was driving my ventricles to beat from 100-150 bpm during those episodes has been removed. As was pointed out to me, if I do feel tachycardia it will be VT and I will make that decision if or when it happens and also rely on my ICD to do ITS job. It has been a week tomorrow since the procedure and my body feels stronger and ready for the challenges of life.... again I am a fortunate man. Nothing in this life is perfect and there are always new problems to face but for today... this day... I can only see and feel the good.

Chrissy and Suzanne... thanks so much for your confidence and good wishes.
--dennis

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - Heart failure
First ICD Medtronic 5/16/08
Pulmonary Vein Ablation 9/1/10
Second ICD Medtronic 5/8/12
AV Node ablation 12/23/13
Medtronic Viva CRT-D 4/14/14
Mitral valve replacement 7/14/15
plural and pericardia fluids (2.5 liters) drained 2/16

Coreg 12.5mg x 3

Coumadin 4.0 mg qd
Lasix 40mg x 2