Recalling Saturday Night Fever

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Jim and Sparky

Recalling Saturday Night Fever

Post by Jim and Sparky » December 28th, 2013, 12:03 pm

A weekend morning routine at our house on the weekends usually includes the ritual of listening to NPR. While listening to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" there was a discussion with Paula Poundstone about John Travolta and his role in the 70's blockbuster Disco classic "Saturday Night Fever". They made a little lighthearted fun of the movie and then the much recognized bass line of the song "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees started to play.

It reminded me that when you are doing CPR, a way to help remember how fast to do the pumps is to recall the beat of that very song. (Roughly 100 beats per minute)

I chuckled a bit. My wife was sitting across the room from me. I asked her "Hey Hon', do you recall that evening almost 3 years ago? You know that day I died after eating dinner and you had to do CPR? Yeah, that day!"

She grinned at me, while the song continued in the background. I became suspicious that she knew where this conversation was headed. She does have a sixth sense like that. She is much smarter than I am.

Anyway, I continued, "Hon' you know when you called 911 and the operator told you to try and do CPR?"

She said, haltingly, "Yes...."

I asked, "did the guy happen to mention that you should do the CPR to the beat of this song?" (Visions and sounds of John Travolta and the Bee Gees still prominent in the background).

She grinned..... and said "you know, I took a little double take at the phone (she had used my cell phone to call 911), when he said that, but, yes, that's exactly the song he recommended!"

We both had a good laugh.

Who might have predicted that John Travolta and the Bee Gees could have somehow played a role in bringing me back from the dead.

Not complaining, but really...
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

freckles1880

Re: Recalling Saturday Night Fever

Post by freckles1880 » December 28th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Sounds like that is a good idea. Thanks

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: Recalling Saturday Night Fever

Post by mrag » December 28th, 2013, 4:16 pm

So I have yet another reason to dislike Travolta ;-)

Good story, well told.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking