Ending the year with a bang, literally

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

supastylin

Ending the year with a bang, literally

Post by supastylin » December 29th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Got shocked tonight while I was at the gym, but at least I didn't pass out. Just when I think I'm coming to terms with my condition, the shock still makes me ponder "why me?!"

That is all. Just venting.

Ozchrissy

Re: Ending the year with a bang, literally

Post by Ozchrissy » December 30th, 2013, 1:06 am

Welcome back, you are now on your next life. I tend to look at them as opportunities to appreciate my device and thank my lucky stars that I have it and I am still alive. Glad you didn't pass out.

It is good to let it out, but I am over that stage now, just feel very lucky each time I have an appropriate shock.

Then again I am probably a bit different to most, so it is an individual thing and no wrong or right way to deal with them.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

supastylin

Post by supastylin » December 30th, 2013, 1:54 am

Thanks Ozchrissy :)

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 30th, 2013, 5:22 am

I got whacked for the first time by mine the other day as well.

Wide awake also at least I know what it is like now.

Good luck to you

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 30th, 2013, 7:29 am

You poor guys, ive never been shocked so cant even imagine what you went thro......but listen......if it was an appropriate shock...it sure beats the alternative....right?

good luck and vent away...youve earned the right..
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 30th, 2013, 8:16 am

Oh Helen, it is not fun at the time, but in my case I am sort of hyper excited after as I realize what it has done for me. There are not a lot of us out there who can say we have flat lined and been brought back to life, by our own device. No drama with ambulances, checkout chicks with defribulators, people thumping on our chests etc. My last shock, was awake for the first, the first shock, (Vtach), didn't work, and then passed out for the second VFib shock. The interrogation printout actually showed all that happened and I saw my nearly flat line. I was actually a bit hypo after, drove myself to the Hospital which was just around the corner and then they fussed over me. (Not for long though, I was fine, I think I calmed them down.) All this took 20 mins from my shock, passing out and recovering my wits to drive to the hospital. I must admit that after they realized that I was happy, was not freaked out, was relieved and assured with my device, the pressure was off me. Mind you I had a cast of thousands looking at my device interrogation, they all were amazed that I was sitting there like I was, after they saw the two shocks and saw the recordings from my device on the screen. They were wanting to keep me in overnight until they rang my Doc, and he said "you can try, but I don't think you will have much luck". I saw him the following day. My EP/Cardio just loves the confidence I have in my device. Mind you I have never had a problem with either this new one, or my previous device. So I have had nearly 8 years of wonderful care and safety from my angels. I know others have had different experiences, inappropriate multiple shocks, but I cannot speak from their perspective, only from my own.

So sweety pie, and anyone else out there who is scared of shocks, if they are appropriate, they don't last for long, and if you are anything like me, you will celebrate that our device works, and we are still around to enjoy our life. It is often the unknown that we fear, but in my situation I welcome my shocks, as they mean I am alive and around to keep annoying everyone. :mutt:
Last edited by Ozchrissy on December 30th, 2013, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 30th, 2013, 8:19 am

Chrissy,

:hugg:

You are a legend and inspire a lot of confidence.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 30th, 2013, 8:26 am

Thanks Colin, I try to accept everything that happens with a half glass full. Life is too short to be worried about our health all the time, and we have these devices to ensure that we do have a life, so why not take advantage of the blessing we have been given. Oh I vent as good as the rest of us, but luckily I normally get over it and pick myself up and get back on with life.

attagirl

Post by attagirl » December 30th, 2013, 8:33 am

I think the exact same as Chrissy. I welcome it as it saved my like
I got my first 9 days after implant, and it saved my life.
I went out not being awake. I thought I had a quick little mini cat nap.

I was not home monitored yet, and did not find out until I went 8 weeks later for an interrogation.
Never had therapy awake, so can't relate to those feelings. Suprastylin, how did it feel, or Colin how does it feel?
I always wondered that. Being at the gym, did it stop you in any way?
*~Dot~*

Biotronik Lumax 540 VR-T
Implant Date May 26th 2011
Hereditary Cardiomyopathy
Family History of SCD
Asthma

Medications:
Carvedilol 18.75 mg 2x Daily
Lisinopril 2.5 mg 1x Daily
Spironolactone 25 mg 1x Daily
Furosemide 20 mg 1x Daily
ASA 81 mg 1x Daily
Symbicort 160/4.5 2x Daily

Supplements:
Alive Women's Multi Vitamin
iFlora Multi Probiotic
CoQ10
L-Carnitine
Vitamin D-3

tahdahh

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 30th, 2013, 8:48 am

The feeling prior to the shock was terrible, I really felt that doom, or something really bad was going to happen to me. When I was shocked, it was all I can describe as is an electrical current at my device site which did travel to my jaw, you definitely know you have been zapped, but it was a relief as I felt so ill prior to the shock. I was resting after the first one and felt bad again and the next thing I was awake and feeling fine. So the second shock whilst unconscious did its job properly and I was back in good rhythm and ready to go.

The only thing that I learnt though was that I was sitting in my car, I yelled out pretty loudly with the shock I felt, I saw a man across the road turn around, but for the second one, of course I don't know if I made any noise. As I was in my car, parked correctly, if I didn't come out of it or I just kept on being shocked, then I am not sure what would happen. I could have been there for a while before anyone noticed me. I have decided that next time I feel a shock coming on, I will be in a public area, even if it is sitting in the gutter beside my car, or on the footpath, so that if I don't come out of it as well as I did the last time, people will notice me and hopefully do something for me.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 30th, 2013, 8:55 am

Exactly the same for me. It was the pre-shock feeling and sense of dread and doom that was worse.

The shock itself was not as bad as I'd have thought, quite tolerable. Looking at my discharge letter my shock was 415 (I assume that is joules) so I don't know if that is a big'un or just a little'un when it comes to ICD shocks.

Saying that, Eric on here has endured a 57 shock storm, he would also be a good person to get some perspective from. For me, one was ok, ask me after 57 (if I got that far) and I might have a different view.

dadmanbob

Post by dadmanbob » December 30th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Colin Pearson wrote:Looking at my discharge letter my shock was 415 (I assume that is joules)
Hey Colin I think it should be 41.5 joules I would think at 415 you would have been dead??????????????????????
BOB
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
Med's
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
ZANTAC 150MG

I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 30th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Bob, you are probably right. The letter simply says; ".....requiring a 415 shock."

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Colin Pearson wrote:Bob, you are probably right. The letter simply says; ".....requiring a 415 shock."
It was most likely a 415 VOLT hit or about 19 joules. I understand that 15 joules is about 346 volts and 25 joules is about 576 volts. Not the same kind of jolt as a electrical plug.
wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

dadmanbob

Post by dadmanbob » December 30th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Oh Bob your are probably correct I forgot about the possible voltage reading so you are very close :mutt:
BOB
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
Med's
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
ZANTAC 150MG

I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer