Testosterone CYP

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

CarlB

Testosterone CYP

Post by CarlB » December 30th, 2013, 11:35 am

Question - Has anyone out there been part of any study or have had suggested that Testosterone CYP be used? Presently I take the following medications; Inspra, Coreg, Digoxin, warfarin, Sotalol, Cozaar and Lasix. There are some studies that indicate that Testosterone supports stronger heart beat and other benefits beside increased energy - one draw back seems to be an increase in CHF. I went to my doctor and he found that my BNP was 349.5 which indicates a mild increase in CHF additional Lasix lowered that number to 240 in less than 36 hours and the doctor suggested to keep taking an extra 40 mg of Lasix and have a recheck later this week. I know that I have been using to much food that contains salt, but that can be changed by the quality and watching how food is prepared. I will see my Cardio and EP Doctors in a couple weeks, but any information from anyone will be great.

Have a Happy New Year and stay warm........
CarlB

DowneasTTer

Re: Testosterone CYP

Post by DowneasTTer » December 30th, 2013, 2:04 pm

I'm not part of a study but…. Since after 2 months of my chf problems back in 2011 my primary suggested I take a testosterone gel. I use Anerogel 1.62 daily as my testosterone level at the time was a big fat 0. Have been using for the past 2 years and feel quite well for someone with an EF around 20. It has allowed me to get back to riding 30 miles/day or so currently sitting at over 8,000 miles for the year. Every 3 months I get tested for T levels and once a year the PSA tests. I haven't noticed an increase in my CHF and my Cardio doc has lowered my water pill from 20mg/day to once a week or so (depending on weight gain). Since my implant 4 weeks ago I haven't' been on my bike, plus the holiday eating I have gained a couple of pounds however . Going to start working on that in the new year.
Idiopathic CHF diagnosed Nov. 1 2011
EF at 15-20 % currently 20-25 % (May 2013)
Medtronic Evera S VR implanted Dec. 3 2013
Carvedilol 12.5mg 2Xday, Lisinopril 40mg, Furosemide 20mg as needed

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 30th, 2013, 5:12 pm

I thought testosterone either
1) increased male breasts
2) made you want to hump rabbits
3) put hair on your boobies

What is this CYP part? And if the answer is #2, what dosage should I ask for?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

CarlB

Post by CarlB » December 30th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Number one is to make sure you don't run into any rabbits that were used in the Movie "Lone Ranger" they are nasty little buggers.

Testosterone CYP is used for those of us that no longer produce testosterone on our own in our bodies. The CYP stands for Cypionate which is used as part of the injectable part of the drug.

Thanks Downeastter for your feedback. Energy has picked up, but still search out what side effects or other problems might show up as a result. My Cardio Doctor went along with the therapy years ago, but the Andropatch wouldn't stay in place during the high humid days in the Midwest. We will see what happens I guess...

mrag, good luck with the rabbits......
CarlB

InSync

Post by InSync » December 30th, 2013, 9:09 pm

I'm not male, nor in a study, but I was seeing a doc from Vanderbilt who was compounding my hormone replacement therapy at the time I was diagnosed with heart failure. My prescription included a small amount of testosterone. Vanderbilt has done a lot of studies in the field. When I was diagnosed, my doc told me to discontinue the replacement. She said that some of the ingredients, including testosterone, are contraindicated in Class III and IV heart failure. My cardio doc didn't seem very knowledgeable about it but wouldn't give her approval to continue ordering the compound.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....