Happy Birthday Tinman (Adonis)

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

freckles1880

Happy Birthday Tinman (Adonis)

Post by freckles1880 » December 5th, 2014, 8:30 am

:hbglitter: HapBirDay :fireworks: Have a Great and Happy Birthday Adonis.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

ROBO Pop

Re: Happy Birthday Tinman (Adonis)

Post by ROBO Pop » December 5th, 2014, 11:53 am

Happy Birthday Tinman. You are probably out celebrating with Dorothy, the Scarecrow, and the Lion. Hope you get that heart you've been wanting. :cake: Bdaysmile :congratulations:
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Tinman

Tinman (Adonis) - My Experience

Post by Tinman » December 28th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Greetings All,

I like to acknowledge the messages from Suzanne, freckles1880, mrag and Robo Pop (like that handle). I turned 58 on December 5th. My ICD was implanted Feb 2013. A month later while shoveling snow the device serially administered therapeutic shock because my heart rate was up to 150. It knocked me off my feet about 5 feet from the street. It was night and my family was away, actually flying back from campus tour at ASU. Evidently, there was scar tissue or other defect in my left ventricle and adrenaline triggers tachycardia due to that defect. I was told that basically I was stuck in "do-loop". The shock would correct my heart rate but it also caused release of adrenaline which would cause my heart to race and the next therapeutic shock would be administered, continuing the cycle until the EMTs got an IV in me. I never felt so helpless in my adult life as I did lying there in the snow feet away from the street and traffic. I was able to call 911 myself and communicate between blasts and my groans. At one point, the 911 operator asked me to calm down when I was groaning in pain. I told her, "You have no idea how calm I am.* Anyway, they got me to hospital. It was Friday night so nothing happened until the medical team was in on Monday. They did an ablation procedure to remove the scar tissue. It took 6 hours of repeated adrenaline doses to trigger the tachycardia. Thankfully, it worked because otherwise I probably would have been scheduled for another attempt. I am pleased to report there has not been any similar incident, no shocks. But there is the fear of something triggering a shock. They did reprogram device to fire at 200 bpm. While I am pretty sure that all is well, there is a fear. My first time on a stationary bike was horrible. When I saw my heart rate reach 150 I had to stop in a panic. It wasn't actually 150 it was a false reading on start up. The rational me forced the frightened me to pedal through tears. What I understood is that I am not totally the same person on this side of the experience. I am better in many ways but there is psychological harm. I have had therapy and no longer tear up when telling my story. Next time I log on I may share about the therapy. Just writing this is therapy in itself. Thanks and . . . HAPPY NEW YEAR! Tinman