Santa brought me a magnet or three

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Santa brought me a magnet or three

Post by mrag » December 27th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Magnets have always been considered pretty fascinating around here so I thought I'd share what showed up in my Christmas stocking. Magnets have been discussed at some length including here as well as a number of other places. While these are supposedly used with "medical pacemakers" and such, I've no idea if they are "approved." Perhaps someone with an official ICD magnet can comment? I can say these suckers attract each other in a way that would make a Star Trek force field proud. They dented my refrigerator when I first placed them there. And they are kind of big. I got them for the next time I meet up with Eric for a drink-he can be such a problem child ;-)
Also, please remember basic training. Magnets only turn the defibrillator (shock) portion off (not any pacemaker function), your icd should warn you when you are too close to a magnet and unless you have a medical degree in cardiology, you shouldn't even be near these things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Ozchrissy

Re: Santa brought me a magnet or three

Post by Ozchrissy » December 27th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Who would give you these for Christmas, I know I don't want one around me, and that goes for around you as well. Have you had a shock storm????, well if not, why do you think you will get one now. Put them out in the shed you silly boy and stop testing fate. Or are you just doing this to get me worried and give you a talking too.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

InSync

Post by InSync » December 28th, 2014, 1:14 am

After getting 3 appropriate shocks in about 8 minutes......not a lot by some standards, but more than enough to cause considerable anxiety to me.....I talked to my St. Jude tech about a magnet and she gave me one. I have 2 leads with known issues, though they haven't given me any problems. The magnet gave me a sense of control if I had a shock storm. I have never used it, but I've also not received more than single shocks since. I don't know that I would ever use it since I really prefer to be alive, but if I was shocked enough before emergency responders reached me, I might. If I ever use it, my plan is to only use it while sitting up. I'm thinking that if I'm being shocked appropriately and turn it off, I'll pass out and drop it and the ICD will carry on. I'm actually more concerned about getting it too close to my credit cards than my ICD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

mrag

Post by mrag » December 28th, 2014, 5:16 am

You got a nice magnet there.

I got mine from a science supply house that someone here had mentioned. It was like $3 a magnet so I bought 3 as I thought it a deal (and one for home, one for the car and one for oops, counted wrong). My grand kids can also play with them and in the very rare instance of a shock storm, they could prove mighty helpful. I also plan to sleep with them when I'm 75.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Eric

Post by Eric » December 28th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Al,

I happen to have 5 magnets provided by St. Jude. Something about 53 inappropriate shocks......Not so worried bout that now or even where they are at, but yeah, having one around is probably not a bad idea. I like your magnets, next time we get together though I want you to leave them at home.

:)

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 28th, 2014, 8:13 pm

What's that black thing on the right side of your ruler? Is that really your phone? lmao4dx whewsmile

:wink:
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

InSync

Post by InSync » December 28th, 2014, 10:20 pm

mrag wrote:I also plan to sleep with them when I'm 75.
Noble, mrag. I wouldn't fret too much over turning 75. But I would keep my eye on that Santa.....
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 29th, 2014, 8:33 am

Al; is it true you offered to sell 2 of them for $10.00 to ROBO's wife?

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Homer159

Post by Homer159 » December 29th, 2014, 3:03 pm

I think I need one of those. December 17th while riding my bike a little two hard I got my first second third fourth and fifth shock in about 1 minute and it didn't convert. I laid down, relaxed and presto went back to normal rythm in about 30 second. Had my heart strap on at the time so its well documented. Was not as bad as I thought it would be but that was not fun (scared the hell out of me). They have since changed my setting on my device so hopefully I get paced first instead of a shock wave. Still smiling.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 29th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Homer159 wrote:I think I need one of those. December 17th while riding my bike a little two hard I got my first second third fourth and fifth shock in about 1 minute and it didn't convert. I laid down, relaxed and presto went back to normal rythm in about 30 second. Had my heart strap on at the time so its well documented. Was not as bad as I thought it would be but that was not fun (scared the hell out of me). They have since changed my setting on my device so hopefully I get paced first instead of a shock wave. Still smiling.
It sounds like your events were appropriate, not that is would be "fun" to have any shock storm. If we need a therapy then that is why we have the ICD. If there is an issue, or potential known issue, with our ICD then it would be OK to have a magnet. I have said before I would be scared to have one around in case it is used when it should not have been.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

mrag

Post by mrag » December 29th, 2014, 5:53 pm

freckles1880 wrote:Al; is it true you offered to sell 2 of them for $10.00 to ROBO's wife?
Heck, I wrote her and said she could have all three free and I'd pay the shipping.

I think I'd be very reluctant and hesitant to use a magnet HOWEVER, if in an 'Eric type storm,' then I'd probably be happy to have a magnet handy and consider taping one on. I'm also guessing like the "impending sense of doom" that accompanies a lot of heart attacks, one might sense/feel an ICD gone berserk. It is for the extreme circumstance that I bought them. Well that and some for Mrs. Robo who said she had some craft project she could them on.

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » December 29th, 2014, 7:06 pm

mrag wrote: Well that and some for Mrs. Robo who said she had some craft project she could them on.
I am assuming your are referring to the ROBO craft project.

Do you suppose she is thinking about stuffing him? Just wondering :)

T
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 29th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Homer, so glad you are still with us, and that your device did its job. But I am also very happy that your docs re-set your device so that you do get aversion therapy before you get the big one. What happened to you is why I am so wary of the magnets, as you are not sure at the time whether it is the real thing or inappropriate, and you could be killing yourself. It would be different with paramedics present or in an ER, with the back up of the external paddles, but I sure would not be doing it on my own.

You got 5 appropriate shocks, unfortunate but it did save your life. You seem to be handling it very well. Did you find out how high your pulse rate got, as that would be a good thing to know for when you next go exercising, to make sure you stay below the threshold.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 3rd, 2015, 3:24 pm

My lovely bride (Mrs. ROBO) having gotten discouraged by failure when she experimented with a stack of refrigerator magnets decided enough of the amateur hour nonsense, and went all out...Thanks anyway Al...
electromagnet.jpg
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 3rd, 2015, 5:08 pm

Robo... Something must be wrong with your ICD. After that BIG magnet it still works..... wavhi
Bob