Different kind of shock -- cost of ICD replacement

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

CeeBee

Different kind of shock -- cost of ICD replacement

Post by CeeBee » February 14th, 2016, 8:27 pm

This is the bill issued by the hospital for my recent ICD replacement. The device cost was listed at more than $68,000 alone (mine is a St. Jude, but I'm those prices are similar to Medtronic et al). The rest? My my, how it adds up.

p.s. I'm lucky to have good insurance through work. I know everyone has different political opinions (to say the least) and that some of you criticize Obamacare, which is not perfect, but at least lets people with an ICD get insured when they wouldn't be able to be otherwise (just ask Hugo Campos). Health Savings Accounts sound great in principle, but could I have saved this much up? No way. It's more than my house cost, and that's not paid off. Many of us on this board, I'd guess, have health care costs that could bankrupt us without insurance. I just hope the system gets better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diagnosed with HCM 2008; ICD 2009
Female, live in Midwest
College professor, mystery reader; take college students abroad at least twice a year. No shocks from that -- yet.
Do our ICDs mean we'll survive a zombie apocalypse??

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: Different kind of shock -- cost of ICD replacement

Post by mrag » February 14th, 2016, 11:47 pm

Obamacare, which is not perfect, but at least lets people with an ICD get insured when they wouldn't be able to be otherwise
Repeat that 10 times to yourself before you next go in a voting booth.

Wow! That might be the most outrageous bill I've seen including the one I got when I went in the ER after a minor car accident (warfarin you know) and I got a $35,000 bill just for cat scans and x-rays. Now for people that are not fully informed or on another planet, realize the insurance company will probably "only" pay out $12-18,000 (maybe a lot less) to settle the entire bill. The fun stuff, if you did NOT have insurance, the hospital would hound and bill you forever until they got all of the $183,000! So you want to buy health insurance or not?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » February 15th, 2016, 1:18 am

I don't see the surgeon on that list either, will there be a separate bill from him too.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

slk123

Post by slk123 » February 15th, 2016, 8:12 am

Looks about right to me. BTW...remember way back I had mentioned something about phone calls to my house telling me I owed $180+K to the hospital? Well what ended up happening is the hospital took my insurance information (which has been proven) but didn't give the insurance company the correct information even after being asked a couple times by the insurance company. So only $1,000 was paid. The hospital now has to take the rest as a hit because it's been over a year! So I'm not on the hook for it. Though, I'm still waiting for the hospital to tell the credit bureaus to remove the negative hit on my credit record because of this. Crazy, eh?
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Sudden cardiac arrest Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » February 15th, 2016, 8:55 am

What is so interesting in the USA is that if you have insurance the numbers billed and numbers paid are so different. Supposedly the number shown on your bill is for someone without insurance. Then the hospital usually settles as there is no way they will get the whole amount. Also, Medicare payments are partly based on the "no insurance" billings, then at a low percentage.

My insurance requires all doctors and other providers to be one one bill, thus I only get one bill.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » February 15th, 2016, 12:45 pm

in my next life im going to be a dr lol..

funny when my daughter had her brain tumor removed, the ontario health plan didnt cover much of the costs and we ended up getting a bill for $150,000...i saw bankruptcy in our immediate future...we were just a year in canada....anyways thanks to the powers that be at the time......within 3 months of us getting the bill they changed the coverage...and our bill was wiped out.......

thank god for canada.....if we hadnt emigrated melanie would have died...the surgery here was the first of its kind at the time.......and thank god our children didnt have to go into care while we served our time haha
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » February 15th, 2016, 12:56 pm

thank god for canada.....if we hadnt emigrated melanie would have died...the surgery here was the first of its kind at the time
Please do not mention that to Cruz or Rubio or . . . .

Would I need sponsors if I wanted to move to Canada. Thinking possibly Nov/Dec 2016. I'm interested in getting a better view of the Falls and stuff like that.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » February 15th, 2016, 1:46 pm

if you buy a pair of pants ill sponsor you in hehehee....

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » February 15th, 2016, 1:49 pm

well you might end up with a canadian pressie hehe

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » February 15th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Geez, Ozchrissy, good question -- I don't EXPECT to see a separate bill from the EP, but who knows?

When this bill is finally adjudicated by the insurance company, I'll post the "final" Monopoly money version, in which the Park Place price for the operating room turns into Mediterranean Avenue.

Cheers,

CeeBee
Diagnosed with HCM 2008; ICD 2009
Female, live in Midwest
College professor, mystery reader; take college students abroad at least twice a year. No shocks from that -- yet.
Do our ICDs mean we'll survive a zombie apocalypse??

David882

Post by David882 » February 15th, 2016, 5:19 pm

It is interesting that the new health care law actually taxes ICDs and other such devices.
Yet the law provides no basic consumer protections, like minimum standards for safety of these devices.
One interesting thing about the new US health care law is that the IRS is the enforcement agency.
The tax agency for the USA is responsible for enforcing the health care law.
The mandate was to pass the law and then we will find out what was in the law.

I don't know but i suspect we have some surprises coming.
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

dick

Post by dick » February 15th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Elect one of the clowns and all will go away on his "first day in office." That should make you and everyone else here in the US extremely comfortable. The fact that absolutely no one has a clue, an idea, a proposal or an alternative to Obamacare should still provide you with a great sense of satisfaction.

As for any "tax" that doesn't even take effect until January 1, 2018, do you really think YOU will ever see that tax amount when people are getting $183,000 hospital bills?

Or did I misread your post?

David882

Post by David882 » February 15th, 2016, 9:20 pm

Dick:

I made no comment regarding the repeal of the new health care law. So I am unsure of your point about repeal in the context of my text.

Thanks for supporting my assertion that the new health care law taxes ICDs and other such devices. i don't think I made a claim about the timing of the tax. It is a bit unclear how the timing of that tax changes my point. Specifically, that the new law appears to penalize people for getting ill with an additional tax. I do hope this is changed prior to people having to pay. Personally, I think it is incorrect to penalize people because they got ill or had a SCA.

The view I was attempting to express was that a complex change was made to the health care system in the USA. The change was made with limited review. So i conclude that these two factors will likely produce unexpected outcomes. A sudden large change to any complex system tends to produce unexpected results. You may care to read about the SL-1 reactor accident, one control rod was moved a few inches to far. A somewhat minor change to a complex system and bad things happened. As well the SL-1 was an understood system. I suspect the new health care law is less understood.

To be sure I am understood the new health care law is large, complex, gives the IRS authority in the process, and was subject to limited review. I do believe we are going to have some interesting learning experiences.

Dick, do you really think my assertion is wrong? Can you provide the rational for why you think I am wrong?
With Respect,
David

External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.

David882

Post by David882 » February 15th, 2016, 9:34 pm

MKM:

If you are going to sponsor folks, i want to live in Vancouver at least in the spring, summer, and fall.
I got sent there to assist with some work and my wife and I loved it.
I don't know if we could afford to live there, but it was a beautiful city.
The people were kind and even spoke English to us :D

i also got to visit Resolute Bay but i don't want to go back there...cold and very cold it was all they had for weather :freez: .
With Respect,
David

Kat

Post by Kat » February 17th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Holy snykies!! that is a lot of money.

CeeBee we must all be on the same schedule since mine is due for replacement too.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694