Nervous before interrogations?

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

doogie55

Nervous before interrogations?

Post by doogie55 » April 10th, 2016, 11:48 am

Hi All,

I'm up for my next interrogation tomorrow and, as usual, I'm nervous about the whole thing. Paradoxically, I think it's because things have gone so well in the last 9 months that I'm superstitious about any findings of increased arrhythmia. Last time I had only one 9-second episode of NSVT in 3 1/2 months and found this reassuring. Now, I haven't experienced any problems such as faintness, fluttery feeling, obvious rapid heartbeat, or any evidence of pacing or shocks, so I guess I can be pretty sure that nothing too dramatic has been happening. But what if it turns out there have been significantly more NSVT episodes...should I be concerned at all, unless my cardiologist is? How do you folks out there deal with this? I know that some of you have uploads every week or two so that there's no long stretch of time where you don't know what 's happening. During the time between interrogations, I don't worry much, but in the days before another interrogation approaches, I start thinking about it again.

Doug E.

freckles1880

Re: Nervous before interrogations?

Post by freckles1880 » April 10th, 2016, 11:58 am

Interrogations are about the easiest things we can go through. Your ICD has been recording so much information that needs to be looked at.
I have been through mare than 30 of them and yes there are issues that show up but that is why we have them done. So those issues can be addressed.

Don't them worry you. Your cardiologist (and/or the device nurse) will look at the readout and recommend any changes that may be necessary. I have had very little changes made on mine.

Ask for a copy of the report. Look it over later and write down any questions and let the cardiologist's office get you your answers.
I have learned a lot about what to look for on my reports.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Michael L

Post by Michael L » April 10th, 2016, 12:02 pm

I look forward to my interrogations. I want to know what is going on with my device and if there are any issues we can address before they get worse....
Biotronik Ilesto 7 implanted May 5, 2014
CABG 3X February 1998

dick

Post by dick » April 10th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Write down your questions and ask them tomorrow. I have been told a few bouts of NSVT are kind of normal. I usually have several between interrogations and the tech just ignores them. Ask if any of the NSVT bouts were long enough that your device started to charge. Mine don't. If you do have several bouts, see if you can match the times or to events. Did they all occur on Sunday at 8AM?

Interrogations may be the easiest thing we get to do. Enjoy it while you can.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » April 10th, 2016, 12:22 pm

I'm with you Doug,

I hate them as well.

For those of us that have ever been on the knife edge of life / death due to arrythmia I cannot help think that when they test the lead integritty by pacing your heart from the bottom lead that it may soemhow upset the delicate balance of things.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » April 10th, 2016, 8:17 pm

I am with you on the worry between Doctors visits. Actually I really don't, unless I am feeling sick or not as good as I think I should be, normally don't give a lot of thought about my heart and stuff, but you can guarantee that the couple of weeks before my interrogation or any doctors visit I start experiencing symptoms of all sorts of things. I have come to expect these feelings now and just go with the flow. The way I approach my interrogations is that if I haven't had any interventions that I am aware of, or suspect issues, then I hope that things have improved.

Make sure you do get your questions ready and get that printout. Otherwise all the best, it will be over with soon and you will know how your little angel has been looking after you for the past 3 months. I like to look at it that the device has been working hard to protect me if there are a few interventions. We had a member on here who unfortunately passed away, but she called her device Blabbermouth, Eve and Blabbermouoth had heaps of fun but she always knew he would blab to the Docs on interrogation. whewsmile whewsmile
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

David882

Post by David882 » April 10th, 2016, 9:08 pm

No need to be nervous about interrogations, they are rather dull routine.
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » April 10th, 2016, 9:50 pm

What David said. I've been interrogated so many times I don't have any fingernails or toenails left. Events like NSVT don't really interest anyone. Healthy people from kids to mrags' age have NSVT. As far as figuring out what you were doing when you had them is folly. Most of mine occur when I'm sleeping and my dreams aren't that wild.

Best wishes. Alan

doogie55

Post by doogie55 » April 11th, 2016, 8:21 am

Well, I had my appointment this morning and there was good news and bad news: the good news is that everything seems to be fine with my ticker. Only 2 minor NSVT episodes in January (a few seconds, the technician said); no others over a 4-month period. No charge-ups, no shocks, no pacing. Battery life still estimated to be 12 years!

The bad news is that the technician, who I really like, is retiring before my next appointment. I took a liking to her from the start because she's almost a dead ringer for my first boss (a graduate dean at Cornell who died years ago). The thing is, my boss was a real piece of work but this lady is really nice. Ah well.

Thanks, everybody, for your words of support. Colin: I had never thought of that concern about the testing of the pacing function. I've gotten to the point where I scarcely even feel it after the technician announces that she'll begin the test. Once it's done and you realize that you're still here, I guess you can stop worrying!

Doug E.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » April 11th, 2016, 9:13 am

Glad all went well. Just a note: many of us have NSVT's (non-sustained Ventricular tachycardia) are called non-sustained because they last so little in time and our ICD's may start to prepare to fire but don't need to. I have had several over the years and the EP has said don't worry unless the ICD actually fires, then I kiss my warden and contact the EP's office.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor » April 11th, 2016, 6:09 pm

The tech doing my last interrogation didn't laugh at my "Did I pass?" question. Day ruined.

The worst part about the whole deal is sitting in the waiting room.
-Malcolm

David882

Post by David882 » April 11th, 2016, 6:09 pm

How old is MRAG?
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » April 11th, 2016, 7:00 pm

I've heard that he learned stonemasonry working on the great pyramids.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » April 11th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Thanks Doogie, I really had not been giving much thought to my next appointments, but I have my local cardiologist for interrogation on the 19th, and then the major Hospital in my Capital City with the Heart Team who did my valve on the 26th. : safetocomeout safetocomeout
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

InSync

Post by InSync » April 12th, 2016, 6:44 am

I usually know most of what an interrogation will show, so don't fret over it. If it is significant enough to waste worry over, you've probably felt it and know when it happens.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....