Anyone taking Entresto

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

notvaporlocked

Re: Anyone taking Entresto

Post by notvaporlocked » June 13th, 2016, 2:01 pm

ROBO , yeah Sandy is working on me to drop the Lisinopril and give it a try. She has a lot of leverage on me when she wants to and when she has an opinion she always wants to. :runaway: My biggest question right now is whether or not the electro Dr guy is on board with this. 10 years ago found myself in a tug of war with the cardiologist and electrophysiologist about what meds I should be on. Based on what the angiogram with the cardio dr girl says friday will help me decide who to put my money and my life on.

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

dick

Post by dick » June 13th, 2016, 2:13 pm

robo man wrote:I've run out of options and this drug can improve symptoms for final stage heart failure patients.
You there yet?

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » June 13th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Yeah, I noticed that "final stage" thing too and do not think I am anywhere here that. nononono

If I drop dead tomorrow though, Sandy will let you know.

Terry
Man Prayer

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » June 13th, 2016, 5:26 pm

This should make you feel better.
INDICATION
ENTRESTO is indicated to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death and hospitalization for heart failure in patients with chronic heart failure (NYHA Class II‐IV) and reduced ejection fraction.

It has nothing to do with arrhythmias. It just makes it easier for your heart to pump blood.

dick

Post by dick » June 13th, 2016, 5:59 pm

It has nothing to do with arrhythmias.
But isn't that the reason the cardiologist suggested Entresto as Terry claimed "I have been having a lot of arrhythmia's of late?" Allow me to clarify. If I was having a real problem and a doctor recommended something that might save me, I'd probably take it myself. That includes this Entresto. And Entresto just might be the wonder drug of this century. My concern to paraphrase from the tech world, is I want to be on the cutting edge of progress, I just don't want to be on the bleeding edge of it. Make sense?

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 13th, 2016, 7:06 pm

All this discussion has really got me going. My cardiologist has suggested to me on my two previous visits that I start on Entresto. I must admit it was the price that was the deciding factor in my earlier decisions. I am now considering going on it. I worked out I can afford it. I trust my cardiologist and the look on his face when I say no is pretty sad. He wouldn't suggest this unless he believed it would work, so I am going to give it a go. I see him in July and will get him to put me on it then. It is $230 a month over here, which I know to some of you is pretty cheap, so I am giving it a go.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » June 13th, 2016, 10:16 pm

They moved my Electro Dr guy appointment up to wednesday the 15th. It was scheduled for the 29th. I'll get a chance to run the Entresto by Electro Dr guy and see what he thinks. I'll feel better if I know both doctors are on the same page.

Terry
Man Prayer

Red Green Show

Cary Grant

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » June 15th, 2016, 11:34 am

Sandy spent some time with our pharmacist today talking about Entresto. First the $$$$ news. For us and with our BCBS Affordable Care Act insurance, $189/month ymmv

Now the rest of the story. As mentioned Entresto is combination of two drugs Sacubitril and Valsartan. According to the pharmacist the Valsartan is Lisinopril although I have looked over my package of Lisinopril and do not see the Valsartan name referred to anywhere on the box. Apparently the Sacubitril is something new.

ROBO you will find this tidbit interesting, from the adverse reaction chart compared to Enalapril, Hypersensitivity (face swelling) is reported in 2% of the patients taking this drug. We always knew you are special :congratulations:

Terry
Man Prayer

Red Green Show

Cary Grant

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » June 15th, 2016, 1:03 pm

notvaporlocked wrote:According to the pharmacist the Valsartan is Lisinopril although I have looked over my package of Lisinopril and do not see the Valsartan name referred to anywhere on the box. Apparently the Sacubitril is something new.
Interesting. If I recall Valsartan was an ARBs (Angiotension Receptor Blocker) while Lisinopril is an Ace Inhibitor. Both serve similar function but are not actually the same.

Yes, my wife says I'm very special, but the way she shakes her head and rolls her eyes when she says that I've never taken that as a good thing. I am indeed hypersensitive to medications and have had a lot over the years that just wouldn't work for me. Can't even remember what they all were. But wasn't surprised when I had the reaction to Entresto. Hopefully it'll work for you. Glad to hear Blue Cross Blue Shield will cover most of the cost.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 15th, 2016, 8:06 pm

I have been searching and for the life of me I cannot find a tablet/pill that is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neprilysin. It is the other half of Entresto other than the ace inhibitor. If I could find one, it may be cheaper for me to stay on the Coversyl which is my current Ace Inhibitor and just add the new pill. But for some reason I cannot find any reference to a manufacturer of this or a brand name other than in combination with Entresto. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/841712

Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » June 15th, 2016, 9:06 pm

That's because it's a new drug in a new class of drug. One of a kind.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 15th, 2016, 11:13 pm

Thanks Al. How exciting. The last time this sort of thing happened with a drug was back when I was first diagnosed 1999, and that was carvedilol and similar heart failure beta blockers. There may have been others, but these two are particularly relevant to me.