My uneventful replacement notes

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

freckles1880

My uneventful replacement notes

Post by freckles1880 » July 9th, 2016, 8:15 am

When I had a transmission (download) 9 months ago the EP noted that my battery had a life of .02 volts left. It had used .15 in the last 6 months. Yet it lasted until June, 6 months, before it beeped. There were several downloads in the meantime and it just stayed at the minimum.

The day the ICD beeped I was unsure it was the ICD so was going to wait until the next day to verify but then ICD nurse called to say it had sent a message that it was ready to schedule the replacement. I would hear in a few days when they would do it.

Later that week the scheduler called to discuss several options on dates and I explained my desire to have it done 3 miles from my home rather than the main hospital 17 miles away. My EP/cardiologist is on both hospital approved list. A couple of days later we scheduled the procedure for about 4 weeks later. The ICD battery is good for at least 3 months I am told.

The scheduler then sent me a list of things I needed to do prior to the surgery regarding my medicines and when to stop some of them.
She then called and informed me the EP wanted to start my procedure ½ hour earlier. Fine with me.

2 days before the hospital called and went over a long list of health questions and noted that the procedure was scheduled for the later time. I let them know it was changed. She was unsure they would be open to get me through the paperwork but it could work.

Then the hospital insurance person called to let me know my insurance required a co-pay and how much it was.

A few minutes later my insurance company called to let me know the procedure was approved and I should get a new ICD by October. I let her know it was in 2 days.

I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am, went through the paperwork. They always ask me if I have a living will and or power of attorney, then of all things if I had made arrangements for my golf clubs if I didn’t pull through. I was then sent to the waiting room and here comes my EP rushing by. He said Hi and kept going. About 20 minutes later I was called back to be prepped for surgery and learned that my EP had been called in for an emergency procedure so may be running a few minutes late. I was given that gown with no back and told to strip. Once that was done I was given the IV’s, BP, EKG, oxygen tested and my INR tested. No Warfarin for 5 days and my INR went UP.

Then at 7:00 am off to the operating room. Got there and they started the prepping for surgery and covered my upper body with some kind of stick-on covers only leaving the area open for surgery. My head was covered and I could only see through one side. After my paint job was completed I talked with the Medtronic’s Rep. She explained what I was getting and noted that my home monitor was in her hand for me to take home. She would link it to my new ICD. She also took a copy of the program from my old ICD and programmed it into the new one. I was then given something to relax me. I was fully aware of everything that I could hear and feel. No pain.

The EP completed his last patient and went to work on me. About a half hour later he was out to talk with my Warden then back to the OR to put in a pacemaker in one person then a new ICD in someone else.

After they nurses cleaned me up, they took me to recovery. The nurse there said all looked good and I could go home once I had eaten and had a drink. They offered me crackers, apple sauce and pudding. I said alright to some apple juice but would wait for the real food. The nurse explained that the crackers were the food. I could not leave until I had eaten. So crackers and apple juice it was.

About an hour later I was discharged. It took a while as the doctor had not completed the instructions on when to restart the meds and he was still in surgery.
Did get a lot of papers to take home and one that explained what to do if something was not right.

I will say that everyone at the hospital was courteous and friendly to me, my warden and each other. They did work very well as a team to get everything done. When one needed something someone pitched in. None of the “not my job” comments.

Once home I hooked up the new monitor and sent a sample transmission as instructed to do. When I got to my E-mail they had sent me a response that it was successful.

Next week I have a nurse look at the site and in 2 weeks do an automated transmission.

So far my changeover has been uneventful.

The next morning. I had a pretty good sleep a little light pain but no need for heavy meds. Took off the heavy bandage last night and have to wait for a week to get the 3 by 3 inch bandage taken off and the site checked by a nurse.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

ROBO Pop

Re: My uneventful replacement notes

Post by ROBO Pop » July 9th, 2016, 9:30 am

exciting stuff Bob, glad you survived and all, and thanks for the detailed discussion of your journey, but...isn't there always a butt with me? But, did you really think omitting your response to the legal question regarding your golf clubs would go unnoticed?

GOLF CLUBS Matter golf2
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » July 9th, 2016, 9:33 am

The Medtronic rep used your old programs to program the new one. I believe that's why on replacement they like you to get the same make, easier to get the same numbers.

Did they say anything about showering, swimming, driving, diving? I assume you didn't drive home.

Did they have you fill in an absentee ballot just in case?

Did they offer you any pain med prescription to take home just in case? (I always recommend always getting pain med prescriptions filled just in case)

I think you said they did not give you a test shock which seems to be the new norm. Did anyone explain why they felt so sure the ICD would work if needed?

Seems a very simple, straightforward, and fast switch over going from ICD to ICD. I did the ICD switch to CRT a few years ago, it required an overnight stay. But I got more than crackers.

I hope your recovery is much smoother than you know who. The advantage of going to a real hospital with real doctors.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » July 9th, 2016, 10:19 am

mrag wrote: Did they say anything about showering, swimming, driving, diving? I assume you didn't drive home.

Did they offer you any pain med prescription to take home just in case? (I always recommend always getting pain med prescriptions filled just in case)

I think you said they did not give you a test shock which seems to be the new norm. Did anyone explain why they felt so sure the ICD would work if needed?

I hope your recovery is much smoother than you know who. The advantage of going to a real hospital with real doctors.
I can shower but not get the site wet for 5 days. Actually I need to wait until the nurse removes the outer bandage 7 days.

Did not offer pain meds and I did not request any. I am sure I could have gotten them if needed. I can still call them if necessary.

The Medtronic's rep stated they no longer need to test for most people. She seemed very confident it would work.

Added note: my model is NOT MRI compatable but does cover AF issues. Seems like my lead is NOT on the current approved list for the MRI's.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

Leah

Post by Leah » July 9th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Did they say how long battery will last? Mine is up to 11 years. I was told that last year when I get mine replaced.

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » July 9th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Great news Bob. I bet thats a load off your mind. Welcome back to normal.

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » July 9th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Leah wrote:Did they say how long battery will last? Mine is up to 11 years. I was told that last year when I get mine replaced.
They just stated that it would last longer than the last one. wavhi
Bob

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » July 9th, 2016, 5:44 pm

What a great unevntful experience Bob. This is as it should be. I am pretty sure that the parameters and programming for my new device was done via my old device. The outcome has been brilliant, no issues with either of them.

I am up to ten years with my leads, but they still look good so there are no plans to do anything about them. As for the length of the battery life, I originally had 8 years on my insertion and after 4 years still have 7 years left. Pretty cool eh, and it has been working pretty hard for me over those years.

Great to know you are transmitting easily and that you got such a prompt response, very reassuring.

Glad you are feeling good and in no pain. Thanks for sharing a 'normal' changeover experience. I am sure it will be a good guideline for others.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » July 10th, 2016, 7:23 am

Thanks for the update Bob and good to know it went very smoothly.

(Note to self: update that living will to add a golf club clause)
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » July 10th, 2016, 11:54 am

Some differences in our replacement experiences:

1) I went for the sleeping through the procedure option.
2) My EP still does a test shock.
3) My hospital had me wear pajama bottoms under the usual smock.
4) I got a free (to me) overnight stay.
5) I got to use my CPAP gear.
6) No one asked about my golf clubs, but that was before our friend ROBO started his collection.

golf2
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 10th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Ronnie Ronnie, Ronnie, let me clarify...

1. they put you out so they don't have to listen to your stories
2. he doesn't really have to shock you, The EP just doesn't like you
3. Obviously the nurses voted on that as a safety precaution
4. Rumor is your wife paid them to keep you, sadly she ran out of money
5. Who else would use your gear
6. A tree branch with road kill skewered on the end does not a set of King Cobra's make - keep 'em

Attention all members:
I still don't have a set of hickory shaft clubs, somebody holding out?
Broken Heart

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » July 10th, 2016, 11:27 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:Ronnie Ronnie, Ronnie, let me clarify...

1. they put you out so they don't have to listen to your stories
2. he doesn't really have to shock you, The EP just doesn't like you
3. Obviously the nurses voted on that as a safety precaution
4. Rumor is your wife paid them to keep you, sadly she ran out of money
5. Who else would use your gear
6. A tree branch with road kill skewered on the end does not a set of King Cobra's make - keep 'em...
Wow! Did your lovely spouse put some soured cream in your coffee?
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 11th, 2016, 1:04 pm

TruckerRon wrote:Wow! Did your lovely spouse put some soured cream in your coffee?
No, she left me...really

So Bob, still doing well?
Broken Heart

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » July 11th, 2016, 2:51 pm

So far, so good. A little sore and with the swelling going down the bandage is "pulling" my skin. Won't know until Friday how it looks under the bandage. Not stinking yet as I have been able to plastic wrap the wound area and tape it so I can shower. Either that or sleep outside.

Also did some "hand bike" (SciFit) exercises this morning and walked a while (inside). Then my Warden and I delivered "Meals on Wheels".

wavhi
Bob

kiwiguy

Post by kiwiguy » July 11th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Great to hear everything went well Bob, hope you mend fast.