New Med from Novartis

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

HenryT

New Med from Novartis

Post by HenryT » December 12th, 2015, 11:27 am

Anyone have any experience with Entresto?

Entresto is a first in class medicine (an ARNI, Angiotensin Receptor Neprilysin Inhibitor) that reduces the strain on the failing heart. A twice-a-day tablet, it acts to enhance the protective neurohormonal systems of the heart (NP system) while simultaneously suppressing the harmful system (the RAAS).[5]

Results from the 8,442 patient PARADIGM-HF study showed, versus enalapril, Entresto[1]:
- reduced the risk of death from cardiovascular causes by 20%
- reduced heart failure hospitalizations by 21%
- reduced the risk of all-cause mortality by 16%
Overall there was a 20% risk reduction on the primary endpoint, a composite measure of CV death or time to first heart failure hospitalization.

Fewer patients on Entresto discontinued study medication for any adverse event compared to those on enalapril. The Entresto group had more hypotension and non-serious angioedema but less renal impairment, hyperkalemia and cough than the enalapril group.

Just Curious,
Henry
DCM with heart failure (EF 15%) diagnosed in May of 1998. First ICD fitted in July of 1998. On my third device a Boston Scientific CRT-D put in June '09 following AV node ablation. Current EF 35%. Current Meds: warfarin, amiodarone, coreg, lisinopril, Crestor, aldactone, baby aspirin

Melissa

Re: New Med from Novartis

Post by Melissa » December 12th, 2015, 4:27 pm

I think if you do a search, we had a post about this drug just a few months ago.....seems it had some bad side effects for some people.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 12th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Melissa wrote:I think if you do a search, we had a post about this drug just a few months ago.....seems it had some bad side effects for some people.
Great point Melissa. I just did a search on our site and Search found 22 matches Search term used: entresto

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 12th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Kudos to Melissa. What I found searching and using the same word as Bob was, OMG, my head is splitting, my arteries tightening and my breath shortening as I try to type this next sentence.......ROBO seems to have provided some worthwhile thoughts on Entresto. God that hurt.
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... t=entresto

We have seen this here many times before that some people like vanilla and some (usually the smarter ones) like mint chocolate chip, YMMV. Personally I'd continue to ask a lot of questions about Entresto before signing up. But keep us informed.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 14th, 2015, 4:49 pm

I open the mail today and here's a love letter from Novartis RE: Entresto...I told you drug companies are watching us.

I am one of the 0.5% and experienced Angioedema right out of the chute. Still I think the drug is worth a try for those of you who are at the end game with CHF, what do you have to lose? If you need any specifics on the drug let me know, I have their pamphlet giving all the details including dosages. Oh and a final thought, make sure you discontinue your Ace Inhibitor for 36 hours minimum before starting Entresto.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Sellncars

Post by Sellncars » December 20th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Hello everyone,

Had a visit with my Cardiologist on Thursday, I brought up the use of this new drug, he never heard of it, he googled it and read up during my visit. Needless to say I started taking it this morning. I will let everyone know as time goes by.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy March of 2015, ICD also Installed
Ejection Fraction 15-20%

Atorvastatin ( Lipitor )---20MG-(1) per day
Baby Aspirin--- 81MG----------- (2) per day
Carvedilol ( Coreg )---25MG twice per day
Ramipril---- 2.5mg---------------(1) per day
Spironolactone-----( Aldactone )--25mg (1) per day
Furosemide--( lasix )-----20mg (1) per day