S-ICD

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

chuck5722

S-ICD

Post by chuck5722 » February 25th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Hello ,
I'm about to be implanted with a S-ICD this group appears to not support that procedure am I correct ?

Thank You,
Chuck

TruckerRon

Re: S-ICD

Post by TruckerRon » February 25th, 2019, 11:39 pm

chuck5722 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 11:06 pm
Hello ,
I'm about to be implanted with a S-ICD this group appears to not support that procedure am I correct ?
Actually as a group we don't support any particular device or procedure. We support each other!

A few of us may have that device, but for most of us it wasn't an option at the time we got our first device. And once your heart is wired for a particular device (I'm one of those with 3 wires for a CRT-D, which was installed in 2009) it makes more sense to just stay with that sort of device.

The Boston Scientific Subcutaneous ICD was first approved by the FDA in 2012. So, for most of us it wasn't an option. If I were today being diagnosed and advised to get a device, my condition would still require what I was told to get in '09.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

mykidsmom

Re: S-ICD

Post by mykidsmom » March 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm

yeppers...what ron said!!!!!!

Ive had so many incisions and implants...(not because of any issues with the actually ICD being implanted but rather another disease i have which sees the implant as a foreign object and tries to kick it out..) anyways in a 12 month period i had to have the incision opened so many times they told me if it happened again ...no choice but to have the s-icd.........and this is what i was gearing up for when i was due a replacement in june of last year....but they were able to implant without using that method....and also they decided not to connect the wire for the pacing ability....so im simply ICD.....
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!