Driver license question?

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

candlegold

Driver license question?

Post by candlegold » August 7th, 2009, 9:00 am

Terry, (not vapor locked) posted in another thread that his commercial license was suspended the minute he got his ICD implanted, I specifically asked, up to the minute they were wheeling me in the OR if it would affect my driving privileges, and for sure if I would lose my class A CDL.

I was assured that it would not affect it unless I had an episode, at which point they would assess the issue.

I am now wondering if the Doc and crew were just talking out their backsides, or is this a state by state condition?

I am really going to be pissed if I find out that my class A CDL is no longer valid because of my medical condition, I mean think about it, if I did nothing I could still get and hold my license until I had the episode that would be ten times worse without the ICD?

I suppose I should have done my own reconnaisance with the DMV and for sure gotten the answers from the horses as. errrrr..... Mouth but I guess I just assumed the docs would have a clue as they supposedly do this 10-12 time a month.

Thanks, Hal

Elizabeth Martineau

Re: Driver license question?

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » August 7th, 2009, 9:12 am

It does vary by state, and the advice you get will also vary by doctor. Mine said I could continue to drive since I don't have a history of passing out from my problem. I guess once it happens, then they deal with it, though if some awful accident occurs it will be kind of like locking the barn door after the horse has gotten out!

Jerry07

Post by Jerry07 » August 7th, 2009, 9:42 am

Elizabeth is correct in the fact that a liscense to drive a car or P/U isn't affected but a commerical liscense is different.
You can no longer hold a class A or Class B CDL with an ICD. You can't get a DOT card becauser of it. It is not a State by State regulation. A commerical liscense is now a federal regulation and issued by each State but must fall under Federal Guidelines. Sorry for the bad news. I too have been involved in the transportation industry all of my life and was using my CDL as a back up. That went down the pooper when I got lightening put in. Fortunatly for me I am and have been stuck in the office for the last 20 years so it isn't mandatory for me to hold a CDL. I understand that a pacemaker does not preclude you from a CDL but requires you to have a DOT Physical every year instead of every two years.
CABG... Nov 2001(The day the diamondbacks won the World Series
1st Stent July 2005
2nd & 3rd Stents April 2006
ICD Aug 14 2008

markokc4863

Post by markokc4863 » August 7th, 2009, 9:44 am

I know here in Oklahoma it doesn't affect your regular driver's license, but at least here, you would lose your CDL. I lost my CDL. Only difference is I didn't care, because I don't need a CDL any longer. Each state is different. Just call your state's DMV. Not like you have to tell them who you are, just as a general question.
Mark

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
Sudden Cardiac Death - 5/7/2008 (my wedding anniversary)
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

TravelingMan

Post by TravelingMan » August 7th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Jerry is correct
From Page 6 of the CDL Medical Exam Form:
Implantable cardioverter defibrillators are disqualifying due to risk of syncope.

This is a federal standard (NTSB). Federal standards apply to all states. If there is a waiver available for this I'm not aware of it. If you find out there is a waiver please let us know.

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » August 7th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Hal

Sorry, I know all to well how much a bummer this is. It is hard for me until I think about the big picture. My ICD has brought me back from Vfib twice. Dr says unless something wierd would have happened and my Vfib would have corrected itself, which was unlikely, I would not have survived. So without the ICD I guess my CDL would not have done me much good anyway.

I continued to carry the licence anyway until it was time to renew, then just tried to act like it was not big deal when I went in to renew to a regular license. I kept telling myself that we own a campround now so I wouldn't use it anyway. I am very busy with this business so it makes it a little easier.

Before we bought this business I was a crane operator, which I absolutely loved. I gave it up to work for ourselves. American dream and all that. Thats another thing I could not pass a physical and do anymore. Did I mention how much I loved doing that? And hauling big heavy wide and tall cranes around when I wasn't sitting in the seat...........I've got to change the subject.

Oh well, I'm counting on life going on ........

Hang in there
Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

efpat

Post by efpat » August 9th, 2009, 1:17 pm

I don't have a truck license but I remember hearing a panel of doctors on theheart.org talking about issues with patients. They said one driver from Florida would lose his license. Also, a tugboat captain would lose his job too.
Evan

Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, St. Jude Promote Plus CRT-D Installed Nov 9, 2009, QRS Duration - 180, EF - 25-30, EF NOW IS 50+!!!!!!

Mark

Post by Mark » August 9th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Just a thought-

We have the ICD to protect us from dying of an arrhythmia, some do lose consciousness and others have it as a precaution in case of v-tach. Sooooooo, all you CDL license holders that had to give it up: if you didn't have your ICD implanted and still had the same condition, you would be able to continue driving tractor trailers???

Okay, not to open a can of worms, but what sense does that make- you are better protected from dying then someone that drives with a CDL with an underlying heart condition that doesn't know he or she has one, yet they are able to continue driving...... so by the federal standards, you have protected yourselves against dangerous arrhythmia but can't drive tractor trailers anymore, but how many drivers out there that have blockages and don't even know can still drive today? Are they required to have a yearly catherization to make sure they will be fine? And that isntt even a definite way of telling there would be a problem. That is almost discriminating against you because of an electrical problem. I do feel for you guys, it's not right!

Seems like someone in the that government agency had their head up their ass when they made that restriction...... IMHO of course.

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » August 9th, 2009, 5:20 pm

You know one of the biggest lies is "I'm from the government jestersmile and I'm here to help you"

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

Noblemon

Post by Noblemon » June 17th, 2010, 8:38 am

Jerry 07 is unfortunately correct. I currently work as a Motor Carrier Investigator with the NYSDOT, and have carried a CDL A for a long time. I always told people my CDL was my insurance policy, as I could always find work driving something. Now that will end when I have to renew, as an ICD is a disqualification on the medical exam.

First, I had to retire from the Army Reserve, now I'll be losing something I worked hard for. Like the DJ says; "and the hits just keep on coming"

But then I think I'l be able to see my 7 year-old grandaughter graduate from High School or even college, and that makes my ICD worth it!

Be Well

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » June 19th, 2010, 10:17 am

candlegold wrote:Terry, (not vapor locked) posted in another thread that his commercial license was suspended the minute he got his ICD implanted, I specifically asked, up to the minute they were wheeling me in the OR if it would affect my driving privileges, and for sure if I would lose my class A CDL.

I was assured that it would not affect it unless I had an episode, at which point they would assess the issue.

I am now wondering if the Doc and crew were just talking out their backsides, or is this a state by state condition?
Doctors, like singers and actors, are human and often have opinions that aren't fact-based.

Since you live in Utah, you may want to talk to Connie Simper, the Medical Program Coordinator with the Department of Public Safety's Driver License Division. You can reach her at 801-965-3819 or csimper@utah.gov. She's told me that we can have an intrastate CDL despite having ICDs; it may also be legal for you to keep driving interstate if you've never lost consciousness due to your heart. She wants to keep us ICD recipients working; she gets irate when she talks about the federal rules.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

jackieloew

Post by jackieloew » July 11th, 2010, 11:01 am

In reading these replies, I was also wondering how you feel about driving in general. I have had my ICD device for 15 years and have been shocked many times over the years, more than I can count. Fortunately it has never happened while driving. I have been diagnosed with AVRD but on most of the occasions I was shocked for Afib, apparently the device can't tell the difference only notes your heart has hit my setting of 200 beats and whatever type of pacing it does in advance I don't feel. I had an atrial ablation in 2004 and for the last 6 years have not had any shocks until 3 weeks ago. I don't feel any warning before getting shocked so I started to think how scary it would have been had I been driving. I have minimally used my car since.
Thanks,
Jackie

wingnut73

Post by wingnut73 » July 11th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Interesting discussion!
I was a commercial pilot ( not airline) until my pacer grounded me, and I found out a pilot can get a waiver to fly as a private pilot until you get the "D".That grounds you all together.
Actually I choose to ground myself before the Feds got to it!

Bradyn

Post by Bradyn » September 26th, 2011, 11:25 pm

efpat wrote:I don't have a truck license but I remember hearing a panel of doctors on theheart.org talking about issues with patients. They said one driver from Florida would lose his license. Also, a tugboat captain would lose his job too.
but it is not a tension job why would they lose their licence??

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 27th, 2011, 12:27 am

Bradyn wrote:
efpat wrote:I don't have a truck license but I remember hearing a panel of doctors on theheart.org talking about issues with patients. They said one driver from Florida would lose his license. Also, a tugboat captain would lose his job too.
but it is not a tension job why would they lose their licence??
I've never worked a tugboat, but assuming that the captain doubles as the pilot and the crew is staffed as minimally as the law and/or regulations allow, that could well leave him alone in the wheelhouse. If so, and he lost consciousness at a critical time, a little tugboat could badly damage other vessels, especially one it is maneuvering.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099