Have thrown a hissy fit

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Helen

Re: Have thrown a hissy fit

Post by Helen » December 9th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Dear Chrissy, It breaks my heart seeing you in such frustration and anxiety. Sometimes I just hate doctors. Their time frames are so different than ours. I know how it feels to wait, wait, wait... I'm fine when I know what is happening but always fearful when waiting for diagnosis or any results. My prayer then is "God please give me patience.... but make it fast." It's almost midnight Friday here so I think it is near noon in Australia. I was just wishing I had your phone number so I could call you and chat you silly. I hope this is all cleared up for you by Monday. Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 10th, 2011, 4:40 am

Oh thank you dear Helen, you always make me feel wonderful. dogkissessss dogkissessss

I doubt if I will get answers this week, as I would have heard if it was bacterial, and checking for fungal will take up to 14 days, so I have at least another 10 days to wait for that.

I am however seriously considering staying with the Docs in Melbourne when I get to meet them. I think that can be arranged and also if it is something that has to be followed up, then I think they will agree to it too. (John are you there, you can probably help with this) Hopefully I will get them to insert my new device, and do the follow up with that too. I have finally realized most of my frustration is directed towards my local cardiologists, I really don't trust them anymore, so will try and make new arrangements for my ongoing care. It is only 150 klm away, and it is where all the live shows etc are, so I may just make it a 6 monthly fun time, when I have to go down for stuff.

Anyway, once I am referred on to these new docs, I will then make new arrangements for my ongoing care. Cant do much at the moment as all the tests etc are with my local docs, but once I am sent to Melbourne, it should all change. It will be worth the effort of the trip to see these docs, I really don't want to have to go through all this again.

There is another local cardiologist that I do think is ok, so I can use him up here if I need too. He is with a different practice, so there shouldn't be any issues with him either.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Debi

Post by Debi » December 12th, 2011, 9:58 am

Chrissy:

I know just how you feel. I have been the hospital for 3 days now and didn't know why. I felt like I was being held in jail!! Then I found out this morning (from an arrogant intern) that they were waiting for my INR to go down before my gallbladder surgery. I would have been much more calm if they had just informed the nurses (and me of course) of this sooner.

Deb

didntdoit

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 12th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Debi wrote:Chrissy:

I know just how you feel. I have been the hospital for 3 days now and didn't know why. I felt like I was being held in jail!! Then I found out this morning (from an arrogant intern) that they were waiting for my INR to go down before my gallbladder surgery. I would have been much more calm if they had just informed the nurses (and me of course) of this sooner.

Deb

didntdoit
Sorry. I was told it takes 72 hours for the INR numbers to get down to where they may be able to do some types of surgery. My latest jaunt they waited until the 3 days were up and my number was at 1.4.
If there is there anything I can do, please give me a call. I could stop in and see you if you felt like it.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » December 12th, 2011, 4:19 pm

freckles1880 wrote:I was told it takes 72 hours for the INR numbers to get down to where they may be able to do some types of surgery. My latest jaunt they waited until the 3 days were up and my number was at 1.4.

Bob,

You're definitely barking up the correct tree here. With your permission, may I get a little technical ?

Here is the basic pharmacology of warfarin. Blood contains 13 attributes which make blood clot. Those attributes are known as "Clotting Factors." And the different clotting factors are simply numbered, typically with Roman Numerals, 1-13.

Warfarin, inhibits Vitamin K's ability to participate with four of the 13 factors, to clot the blood. Specifically, warfarin effects Factor II, Factor VII, Factor IX and Factor X. The other nine factors are not effected.

Warfarin effects each of the factors differently in terms of the amount of time the factors will not clot the blood. The manner in which efficacy is measured is "half time" .... the amount of time it takes before the drug is only 50% effective.

The half-life for each factor is different and the half lives are as follows:

1. Factor II (72 hour half life)
2. Factor VII (8 hour half life)
3. Factor IX (24 hour half life)
4. Factor X (39 hour half life)

So, the reason they made you wait 72 hours is, because the effect of Warfarin upon Factor II would be reduced by 50% in 72 hours. Warfarin's effect on Factor X would have been reduced by approximately 70% in 72 hours, about 87.5% of Factor IX and 99.8% on Factor VII.

None of that brings your ability to clot back to "normal," but it is apparently, "normal enough" for the tastes of most folks.

Sorry I was so technical and the explanation was probably more than you wanted to know, but now you know why they choose the wait times they do.

The INR ..... International Normalized Ratio ..... sort of takes into account the "average" of all the foregoing non-sense and is a "rough approximation" of the anti-coagulation of the blood brought about by the Warfarin and Vitamin K ratio in the blood. The INR is a ratio of time compared to "Normal." .... If blood would normally clot in one unit of time, blood with an INR of 2 would take twice as long to clot, and INR of 3 would take three times as long to clot, and so forth.